Area from a Line Equation

heleep

"Find the equation of the straight line through A(1,4) which is perpendicular to the line passing through the points B(2,-2) and C(4,0).
Hence find the area of the triangle ABC, giving your answer in the simplest possible form."

Now the equation for for the perpendicular line through point A is y=-x+5, but what relevance has this got in finding the area of the triangle?
To find the area, I thought I had to use coordinate geometry to determine the lengths.
How do I use the equation? The answer says it's 7?

Last edited:
Given the straight line through A(1,4) which is perpendicular to the line passing through the points B(2,-2) and C(4,0)

First find the slope
[0-(-2)]/(4-2)=1

As we know the equation
y=mx+b
b=y-mx
b=-2-1*2
b=-4
y=x-4

Now find the length BC
√[(2-4)^2+(-2-0)^2]
√8
2√2

Line containing A and perpendicular to line BC
Want slope -1.

Line
y-4=-x+1*2y=-x-3

Point of intersection these two lines
x-4=-x-3
2x-4=-3
2x=4-3
2x=1
x=1/2

Either equation line, y=-x-3
y=-1/2-6/2
y=7/2

Point on line BC containing A is (1/2,-7/2)

Find the distance from A(1,4) to (1/2, -7/2), call the distance AP.

Find the area of the triangle ABC using
1/2*BC*AP

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. I was thinking 'why can't I just use the midpoint of B and C', but I wasn't thinking.

You lost me at:
"Line
y-4=-x+1*2y=-x-3"

Where did that come from?
It doesn't matter. I've gotten the right answer now, thanks.

"Find the equation of the straight line through A(1,4) which is perpendicular to the line passing through the points B(2,-2) and C(4,0).
Hence find the area of the triangle ABC, giving your answer in the simplest possible form."

Now the equation for for the perpendicular line through point A is y=-x+5, but what relevance has this got in finding the area of the triangle?
To find the area, I thought I had to use coordinate geometry to determine the lengths.
How do I use the equation? The answer says it's 7?
The line from B(2, -2) to C(4, 0) has slope \(\displaystyle \frac{0- (-2)}{4- 2}= \frac{2}{2}= 1\) so, yes, a line "perpendicular to the line passing through the points B(2,-2) and C(4,0)" has slope -1. It must be of the form y= -x+ b. Since it passes through A(1, 4) we must have 4= -1+ b so b= 5. Yes, that line is y=-x+ 5. You want that in order to find the point where A crosses BC. That happens when both equations are satisfied. The line from B to C has, as before, slope 1 so is of the form y= x+ b. The fact that it passes through B(2, -2) means that -2= 2+ b so b = -4. The equation of the line is y= x- 4. (As a check, x= 4, y= 0 also satisfies that equation.

At the point of intersection, y= -x+ 5= x- 4 so that 2x= 9, x= 9/2 and y= -9/2+ 5= 9/2- 4= 1/2. The point of intersection is (9/2, 1/2).
The area of a triangle is "1/2 base times height". The "base" is the distance from B to C and the "height" is the distance from A to (9/2, 1/2).