Area of a region between two triangles

Zekiguy123

I am stuck on part c for this question. I feel as if my answers are correct, but my instructor is claiming I have one, multiple, or all parts of "c" incorrect. I am not only unsure on which part I have wrong, but unsure on what I can change, because it seems that everything I have done is done in the right way. Can somebody figure out how to do part 1,2,3 of C, and explain to me what you did differently than me? Thanks.

Attachments

• My-response.jpg
    My-response.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 14
  • Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 14
So know you have a right triangle with two known sides. Does this help you?

that's not helping... I understand that, I even solved the problem, but got something wrong. Can you let me know what I got wrong??

… it seems that everything I have done is done in the right way … what [would you do] differently than me?
Hi Zekiguy. Your answers match mine, and I can follow your work, so I'm not sure what your instructor might be thinking.

When I work an exercise containing both radian and degree measure, I always write degree symbols on numbers representing degree measure. Could it be that your instructor would like to see degree symbols on your measures of 180º and 360º?

Are you using formulas as shown in class? Your work shows formulas for degree measure; I wonder if your instructor realized that you were evaluating cos-1(2.5/3) with a device set to degree mode. In other words, some people might see the expression cos-1(2.5/3) and mistakenly assume it always means radian measure. You could replace the angle expression cos-1(2.5/3) with 33.5573º. (I'm really guessing, here.)

With your approach, I would also have used the Pythagorean Theorem to write (√11)/2 instead of 2.5∙tan(cos-1(2.5/3)) -- for the height of triangle ABC. (That's just my preference; it doesn't change the answer.)

In my approach, I would have worked with radian measure throughout, using formulas from this page. For finding the area of region R, I would not have subtracted the area of a triangle from the area of a sector (doubling the result). I would have used the formula for the area of a circular segment (The area of region R is the same as the area of the segment with the angle doubled.)

?

Hi Zekiguy. Your answers match mine, and I can follow your work, so I'm not sure what your instructor might be thinking.

When I work an exercise containing both radian and degree measure, I always write degree symbols on numbers representing degree measure. Could it be that your instructor would like to see degree symbols on your measures of 180º and 360º?

Are you using formulas as shown in class? Your work shows formulas for degree measure; I wonder if your instructor realized that you were evaluating cos-1(2.5/3) with a device set to degree mode. In other words, some people might see the expression cos-1(2.5/3) and mistakenly assume it always means radian measure. You could replace the angle expression cos-1(2.5/3) with 33.5573º. (I'm really guessing, here.)

With your approach, I would also have used the Pythagorean Theorem to write (√11)/2 instead of 2.5∙tan(cos-1(2.5/3)) -- for the height of triangle ABC. (That's just my preference; it doesn't change the answer.)

In my approach, I would have worked with radian measure throughout, using formulas from this page. For finding the area of region R, I would not have subtracted the area of a triangle from the area of a sector (doubling the result). I would have used the formula for the area of a circular segment (The area of region R is the same as the area of the segment with the angle doubled.)

?
Hi Otis,
Thank you very much for the help. If only my instructor would actually tell me what exactly I got wrong. I will try to solve it in radians and turn it in, maybe he will prefer that.
Cheers,
Zeki

… If only my instructor would actually tell me what exactly I got wrong. I will try to solve it in radians and turn it in, maybe he will prefer that …
Hi Zeki. What did you find out?

:)