Area: what is the value of segment XC?

george22

I will do my best to explain this problem. There is a picture of a right triangle with the top, A, D is the point at the right angle, and B is the other endpoint of the triangle. X and C are two points between B and D. If segment BC = 20 = DX and the area is 180, 90 respectively, what is the value of segment XC?

Re: Area

george22 said:
I will do my best to explain this problem. There is a picture of a right triangle with the top, A, D is the point at the right angle, and B is the other endpoint of the triangle. X and C are two points between B and D. If segment BC=20=DX and the area is 180, 90 respectively, what is the value of segment XC?
Sorry. No good.

1) Triangles don't have endpoints.
2) Are 'X' and 'C' in any particular order?
3) You did not describe two areas. Why are there respective measurements?
4) I suspect Segment(XC) has no value, rather it has Length.

Really, why can't you just write down the question and provide the drawing? From what language are you attempting to translate? We don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Re: Area

george22 said:
I will do my best to explain this problem. There is a picture of a right triangle with the top, A, D is the point at the right angle, and B is the other endpoint of the triangle. X and C are two points between B and D. If segment BC=20=DX and the area is 180, 90 respectively, what is the value of segment XC?

what has an area of 180, 90 respectively?

The 3 points on the triangle are A, B, and D. X and C are two points between B and D. X comes before C. I am trying to find the length of XC when BC and DX = 20. I do not know how to draw the picture. If you can draw it I can tell you if it looks similar.

Hello George! :D

Here is what I am thinking:
godhealsco7.jpg

yes, that is what it looks like. now can you help me solve for segment XC? if it helps any , i think there was a line drawn from A to X and from A to C to make 2 more triangles, if that helps any.

george22 said:
yes, that is what it looks like. now can you help me solve for segment XC? if it helps any , i think there was a line drawn from A to X and from A to C to make 2 more triangles, if that helps any.
That is fine. But what about “the area is 180, 90 respectively”
What areas are you talking about? Name the triangles involved!

Geezzzzzz...even Jonboy's triangle seems wrong...
Isn't this what it looks like:

A

D...20...X.....?.....C...20...B

Anyway, if 90 is the area of triangle ADX, then AD = 9; that's all you get from me!

Denis said:
Geezzzzzz...even Jonboy's triangle seems wrong...
Isn't this what it looks like:

A

D...20...X.....?.....C...20...B

Anyway, if 90 is the area of triangle ADX, then AD = 9; that's all you get from me!

Well he said pont D is at the right of the triangle so I guess it varies from where you are standing.

jonboy said:
Well he said point D is at the right of the triangle so I guess it varies from where you are standing.
NO, he does NOT say that; he says: "D is the point at the right angle" :shock:
That means where the angle = 90 degrees :wink:

technically point D is where the right angle is. switch B and D and Switch X and C and the picture will be totally correcty. forget about what i said about 180 and 90 respectfully, but everything else on the picture is correct.

george22 said:
forget about what i said about 180 and 90 respectfully, but everything else on the picture is correct.
No, it's either part of the problem or it isn't. Why would you expect a solution after discarding aprt fo the problem statement? Let's not play the flawed memory game.