Arithmetic sequence

jaymath

THE SUM OF THE FIRST THREE TERMS OF AN ARITHMETIC SEQUENCE IS 15. THE SUM OF THEIR SQUARES IS 147. DETERMINE THE SEQUENCE.EXPLAIN YR REASONING AND JUSTIFY TR WORK.

tn=a+(3-1)d here i plugged in n=3 and Sn=15. what is next eqn?pl. try .thnx.
tn=a+2d

sn=n/2(a+tn) next what to do for sum of squares?

Last edited:
THE SUM OF THE FIRST THREE TERMS OF AN ARITHMETIC SEQUENCE IS 15. THE SUM OF THEIR SQUARES IS 147. DETERMINE THE SEQUENCE.EXPLAIN YR REASONING AND JUSTIFY TR WORK.

tn=a+(3-1)d here i plugged in n=3 and Sn=15. what is next eqn?pl. try .thnx.
tn=a+2d

sn=n/2(a+tn) next what to do for sum of squares?

You have:

\(\displaystyle a + (a+d) + (a+2d) = 15\)
\(\displaystyle a^2+(a+d)^2 + (a+2d)^2 = 147 \)

Do you know how to solve simultaneous equations?

You have:

\(\displaystyle a + (a+d) + (a+2d) = 15\)
\(\displaystyle a^2+(a+d)^2 + (a+2d)^2 = 147 \)

Do you know how to solve simultaneous equations?
for Tn= a+(n-1)d but for square which formula applies?

for Tn= a+(n-1)d but for square which formula applies?

Are you really that lazy that you need a formula to do every math problem? I don't know a formula for it, and I don't plan on deriving one or googling for one for you.

Are you really that lazy that you need a formula to do every math problem? I don't know a formula for it, and I don't plan on deriving one or googling for one for you.

dear idn hw to solve simultaneous eqn of different degrees.thnx for yr @

dear idn hw to solve simultaneous eqn of different degrees.thnx for yr @

Its the same process, only you may get more than one possible solution. Solve the first one for a or d, and plug into the second one. You will have a quadratic.

For example, if x+y=3 and x^2+(x+y)^2=10, I solve the first for y to get: y=3-x. Plug this into the second to get x^2+(x+[3-x])^2=10, or x^2+9=10. This gives two solutions of x=1 and x=-1 which give two solutions: x=1 and y=2, or x=-1 and y=4.

Its the same process, only you may get more than one possible solution. Solve the first one for a or d, and plug into the second one. You will have a quadratic.

For example, if x+y=3 and x^2+(x+y)^2=10, I solve the first for y to get: y=3-x. Plug this into the second to get x^2+(x+[3-x])^2=10, or x^2+9=10. This gives two solutions of x=1 and x=-1 which give two solutions: x=1 and y=2, or x=-1 and y=4.

thnx. i belive i got -1, 5 nd 11 is rt ans.