Avatars: why not currectly allowed? how about "tiny pics"?

fred2028

Say, why are we not allowed them? If it's a server issue, then why not let us host them on Tiny Pic or the similar?

Because they make a forum look like shi7 - it looks best, in my opinion, to keep things as simple as possible. Avatars and pictures in signatures are two things which start to take over, fast.

I don't believe having an avatar would provide any useful experience for the users - we're on here for math, not to gawk over someone's animated GIF.

My opinion, I welcome others.

They needn't be animated. I think they are useful (though not necessary, of course) for keeping track of who messages come from. "It's that guy in the big hat" is slightly more human than "It's dhilbert09823058"

They may be frivolous, but I like avatars. Especially, the animated ones. I use them on other forums.

i'm all for avatars, for the reasons galactus and cadamcross mention.

jwpaine said:
Because they make a forum look like shi7 - it looks best, in my opinion, to keep things as simple as possible. Avatars and pictures in signatures are two things which start to take over, fast.

I don't believe having an avatar would provide any useful experience for the users - we're on here for math, not to gawk over someone's animated GIF.

My opinion, I welcome others.

I agree with you - there is no need to waste electrons with all those extraneous frivolity!!

That reminds me of 80's - when Mac just came out and everybody was "desktop publisher" with different fonts and pictures - but bland contents. It is just me - but whenever I see "flash", I doubt the content.

There is something to be said for "spartan" look - 300 of those decimated 30,000 of "well-decorated parsians".