avg q7

Saumyojit

In the island of Hoola Boola Moola , inhabitants have a strange process of calculating their average incomes and expenditures. According to an old legend prevalent on that island. the average monthly income had to be calculated on the basis of 14 months in a calendar year while the average monthly expenditure was to be calculated on the basis of 9months per year. This would lead to people having an underestimation of their saving since there would be an underestimation of the income and overestimation of their expenditure per month.

this is a passage followed by question .

From the passage i interpret that the

When we're calculating avg monthly income we need to assume that there are 14 months (2 months more than normal) and then we're adding each monthly income value divided by 14 to get avg .

When we're calculating avg monthly expenditure we need to assume that there are 9 months (3 months less than normal) and then we're adding each monthly expenditure value divided by 9 to get avg .

right ?

This would lead to people having an underestimation of their saving since there would be an underestimation of the income and overestimation of their expenditure per month.

this statement I cannot understand?

In the island of Hoola Boola Moola , inhabitants have a strange process of calculating their average incomes and expenditures. According to an old legend prevalent on that island. the average monthly income had to be calculated on the basis of 14 months in a calendar year while the average monthly expenditure was to be calculated on the basis of 9months per year. This would lead to people having an underestimation of their saving since there would be an underestimation of the income and overestimation of their expenditure per month.

this is a passage followed by question .

From the passage i interpret that the

When we're calculating avg monthly income we need to assume that there are 14 months (2 months more than normal) and then we're adding each monthly income value divided by 14 to get avg .

When we're calculating avg monthly expenditure we need to assume that there are 9 months (3 months less than normal) and then we're adding each monthly expenditure value divided by 9 to get avg .

right ?

This would lead to people having an underestimation of their saving since there would be an underestimation of the income and overestimation of their expenditure per month.

this statement I cannot understand?
It might be better if you did as we ask and showed the entire problem, including the actual question and choices, which might give additional clues to the meaning, if only in the choices offered. But I have to say that if this problem were on an entrance exam for a school, I would try a different school that cares more about clear communication and real teaching.

What they say is ambiguous. Are they talking about real months, or real years? It can't be both.

My best guess is that they calculate the average income per 14th of a year (dividing the total for the year, not over 14 months, by 14), and the average expenditure per 9th of a year (dividing the total for the year by 9), and then nonsensically pretend that "month" means the same thing in each calculation. This would result in the supposed average income being less than in a real month, and the supposed average expenses being more than in a real month, because they are dividing by the wrong numbers.

Are they talking about real months, or real years? It can't be both.
didn't understood

https://www.beatthegmat.com/averages-t124061.html

rest of question

My best guess is that they calculate the average income per 14th of a year (dividing the total for the year, not over 14 months, by 14), and the average expenditure per 9th of a year (dividing the total for the year by 9), and then nonsensically pretend that "month" means the same thing in each calculation
per 14th of a year means ?

I didn't understand your interpretation .

Didn't understand "month" means the same thing in each calculation.

i interpret that

When we're calculating avg monthly income we need to assume that there are 14 months (2 months more than normal) and then we're adding each monthly income value divided by 14 to get avg income per month assuming there are 14 months in a year .

is this wrong?

You should read it . The question is given here as Baffling and shi*

Last edited:
You didn't quote my most important comments:
But I have to say that if this problem were on an entrance exam for a school, I would try a different school that cares more about clear communication and real teaching.

What they say is ambiguous.
This is a stupid question. Ignore it. And if it is typical of what they teach in your country (it isn't, in mine), then leave. This is not mathematics. (It is a very old tradition, going back at least to ancient Egypt, to make unrealistic problems for students, in part because reality is too complicated when you are first learning. It is not traditional to make problems so nonsensical that students are made to hate and fear mathematics.)
i interpret that

When we're calculating avg monthly income we need to assume that there are 14 months (2 months more than normal) and then we're adding each monthly income value divided by 14 to get avg income per month assuming there are 14 months in a year .

is this wrong?
I can't tell you for sure what interpretation is right or wrong. I've told you that.

But if you insist on paying attention to the problem, then take your interpretation and see whether it implies their statement about "people having an underestimation of their saving since there would be an underestimation of the income and overestimation of their expenditure per month." If it doesn't then it must be a wrong interpretation.

You didn't quote my most important comments:

This is a stupid question. Ignore it. And if it is typical of what they teach in your country (it isn't, in mine), then leave. This is not mathematics. (It is a very old tradition, going back at least to ancient Egypt, to make unrealistic problems for students, in part because reality is too complicated when you are first learning. It is not traditional to make problems so nonsensical that students are made to hate and fear mathematics.)

I can't tell you for sure what interpretation is right or wrong. I've told you that.

But if you insist on paying attention to the problem, then take your interpretation and see whether it implies their statement about "people having an underestimation of their saving since there would be an underestimation of the income and overestimation of their expenditure per month." If it doesn't then it must be a wrong interpretation.
I'll second this -- have no clue what they mean and how it is supposed to be solved. Does not sound like math to me.