Basic partial differentials

nz.lauren

Hey, I'm brand new to calculus, so I'm probably missing something really obvious, but my textbook's answers don't show the working so I'm totally lost!

The question is: Find all the partial derivatives and the total differential of y=3x^1/3 z^2/3. The answer for the partial derivatives is fx(x,z) = x^-2/3 z^2/3, fz(x,z) = 2x^1/3 z^-1/3.

Basically I understand for fx(x,z) that the 'z^2/3' is treated as a constant, but I don't understand what happens to the constant '3' in 3x^1/3. I thought that the multiplication by a constant rule would mean that the derivative of 3x^1/3 would be 3(1x^-2/3) which is 3x^-2/3. Even if I took the derivative of the 3 seperately, wouldn't this mean it becomes 0 * x^-2/3 equalling 0?

Also for fz(x,z), I thought I should treat only x^1/3 as the constant, meaning I multiply the derivative of 3 (which is 0?) by x^1/3 z^-1/3, giving me 0? Am I wrong in treating the 3 in '3x^1/3' as a constant? How does the 3 become a 2?!

Hope this makes sense! :)

Find all the partial derivatives and the total differential of y=3x^1/3 z^2/3. The answer for the partial derivatives is fx(x,z) = x^-2/3 z^2/3, fz(x,z) = 2x^1/3 z^-1/3.

but I don't understand what happens to the constant '3' in 3x^1/3

When you take the derivative of \(\displaystyle \displaystyle 3x^{\frac{1}{3}}\). You multiply the exponent by the constant. Thus, \(\displaystyle \displaystyle 3\cdot \frac{1}{3}=1\). That's what happened to the 3.
Then, subtract 1 from the exponent as you done. Getting, \(\displaystyle \displaystyle x^{\frac{-2}{3}}=\frac{1}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}}\). Since the z term is a constant, it gets multiplied by the x term we now have. Ultimately getting \(\displaystyle \displaystyle f_{x}=\frac{z^{\frac{2}{3}}}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}}\)

Also for fz(x,z), I thought I should treat only x^1/3 as the constant, meaning I multiply the derivative of 3 (which is 0?) by x^1/3 z^-1/3, giving me 0? Am I wrong in treating the 3 in '3x^1/3' as a constant? How does the 3 become a 2?!

Same idea as above only the x term is the constant now. By multiplying 2/3 by 3. Which gives 2. Then, subtract 1 from 2/3 and get -1/3 for the exponent.

Differentiate the z term and get \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{2}{3}z^{\frac{-1}{3}}=\frac{2}{3z^{\frac{1}{3}}}\).

Now, multiply this by the constant, \(\displaystyle \displaystyle 3x^{\frac{1}{3}}\), and the 3's cancel.

Giving \(\displaystyle \displaystyle f_{z}=\frac{2x^{\frac{1}{3}}}{z^{\frac{1}{3}}}\)

Last edited:
Thank you!! I don't know why I was trying to multiply the constant by 1 instead of by the exponent - rookie!!

So when partially differentiating for z, I still multiply the constant (3) by the exponent for z (2/3), even though it is the exponent of z and the constant is in front of x?

I guess that 3x1/3z1/3 is equal to 3 * x1/3 * z2/3 which is the same as x1/3 * 3 * z2/3 right?? So it doesn't matter where the constant is in the equation if its multiplied? Really basic algebra I know but I just want to double check since it's been about 10 years since I last did this!!!

Thanks again!

It's the Commutative Property of Multiplication that tells us numbers may be multiplied in any order because the resulting product is always the same.

There's a similar property for addition.