Basic(?) probability question: A boy has three one-dollar coins...

jullunety

Hi, I need help with this probability question. An explanation would be very helpful.

Question:
A boy has three one-dollar coins. He can distribute the coins amongst himself, his brother, and his friend in any way he chooses. How many possible outcomes are there?

Hi, I need help with this probability question. An explanation would be very helpful.

Question:
A boy has three one-dollar coins. He can distribute the coins amongst himself, his brother, and his friend in any way he chooses. How many possible outcomes are there?
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

In addition to showing your work, you should tell us how much you have learned about combinatorics (permutations, combinations, counting rule, ...) so we have a sense of what help you need and what level it should be at. This could be treated either as a very simple problem, or a rather advanced one.

Have you tried just listing the outcomes? That's what I would do.

And do you know whether the coins are to be considered distinguishable? I am guessing not.

In how many ways can he give all three to one person?

In how many ways can he split the coins, one to one person and two to another?

In how many ways can he give one coin to each person?

Add.

In how many ways can he distribute the coins?

If you get stuck, please reply showing your work so far. Thank you! ;)