Basic speed distance time exercises: need strategies for awkward division without calculator

LordLongStyle

So I'm training for an aptitude test in which I need to be able to quickly solve basic speed distance and time and fuel calculation questions without a calculator. I understand how to come to the correct answer using Distance = Speed x Time formula and rearrange it but when I need to divide awkward number 19/570 I cannot do it quickly in my head, I'm looking for any stratergies to help me be divide those more awkward numbers. Any help or suggestions are appreciated, Thanks.Screenshot 2023-10-03 195916.png1696327521401.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm training for an aptitude test in which I need to be able to quickly solve basic speed distance and time and fuel calculation questions without a calculator. I understand how to come to the correct answer using Distance = Speed x Time formula and rearrange it but when I need to divide awkward number 19/570 I cannot do it quickly in my head, I'm looking for any stratergies to help me be divide those more awkward numbers. Any help or suggestions are appreciated, Thanks.

They generally set up these no-calculator exercises so that the numbers work out nicely. For instance, in the first exercise:

You travel 19 miles. How much fuel will you need if you burn 30 kgs per hour and are travelling at 570 mph?

The number of miles, 19, goes neatly into 57: 3*19 = 57.

You know "d = rt", you have been given "d" and "r", and you need to find "t". So plug the known values into the known formula, and get the time t. This will fit nicely into the "kilograms per hour" value.

View attachment 36474
You have used 34 kgs of fuel in the past 3 hours and 24 mins. How much do you burn per hour?

How much of one hour is 24 minutes? (Hint: 6 minutes is 1/10 of an hour; 24 = 6*4)

How much time, then, is 3 hours and 24 minutes? (Hint: Use a decimal)

How does this relate to the amount of fuel?

So I'm training for an aptitude test in which I need to be able to quickly solve basic speed distance and time and fuel calculation questions without a calculator. I understand how to come to the correct answer using Distance = Speed x Time formula and rearrange it but when I need to divide awkward number 19/570 I cannot do it quickly in my head, I'm looking for any stratergies to help me be divide those more awkward numbers. Any help or suggestions are appreciated, Thanks.View attachment 36473View attachment 36474
I'll give you a quick list of advice I give my students. stapel has already given you some of it.

1. As stapel mentioned, if this is a non-calclulator situation, if you have to divide by something ugly, like 17, odds are that whatever is in the numerator has a factor of 17 in it, too. Look for the simplification before you multiply everything out. More likely than not, the numbers won't turn out to be too bad.

2. One of the first things to address in a Physics problem is units: pick a distance unit... if the problem uses speed in mph you probably want to use miles. Ditto for time. It really doesn't matter in the end which units you use, you just need to be consistent. When in doubt, if you have two units in the problem, such as 20 mph and 100 ft, choose the smaller unit and convert mph to feet/hr, or even ft/min. Then change anything else accordingly.

3. Work through as much of the problem as you can using just variables. It probably won't do much for this level of problem, but it's easier to keep track of units, you don't accumulate rounding errors, and in many cases a lot of stuff you didn't really need to know just falls out of the problem. (If you continue in Physics, you will find a number of problems that appear to need a mass do not give you one. That's because, in the end, the mass term cancels out somewhere and you didn't really need it.)

4. Take a moment to ask "Does my answer make sense?". If your question is about how long it takes a car moving with a speed of 60 mph to travel a distance of distance of 60 miles, and your answer is 10 hours, the hairs on the back of your neck should be stiffening! It doesn't take long and you can catch some simple and easy to make mistakes this way.

5. Finally, since this is a timed test, you need to budget your time. My personal favorite strategy is to go through the whole test and answer any questions you can immediately answer, or that are simple enough to you to not require a lot of time to do. Then see how much time is left and divide it up between the rest of the problems. Then go through it again. If you get stuck somewhere, move to the next problem... don't get bogged down on a single problem, you can always come back to it again if you have time. Keep track of the time, but do not panic when time is getting low! Just do the best that you can, you can't do it any better. Never take a personal stake in an exam, it can cripple your ability to think on your feet. As Adidas says "Just do it.". And when you are done, just walk away.

Hope it helps!

-Dan

They generally set up these no-calculator exercises so that the numbers work out nicely. For instance, in the first exercise:

The number of miles, 19, goes neatly into 57: 3*19 = 57.

You know "d = rt", you have been given "d" and "r", and you need to find "t". So plug the known values into the known formula, and get the time t. This will fit nicely into the "kilograms per hour" value.

How much of one hour is 24 minutes? (Hint: 6 minutes is 1/10 of an hour; 24 = 6*4)

How much time, then, is 3 hours and 24 minutes? (Hint: Use a decimal)

How does this relate to the amount of fuel?
Thanks for the response,

24 minutes is 0.4hrs, plus the 3 gives 3.4 hours. 34Kg of fuel divide by 3.4hrs = 10kg/hr?

Back, to the first question, how does knowing 19 neatly goes into 570 or 57 help us when d=rt says it will be the other way around, 19/570 = t. To me 57/19 = 3 or 570/19 = 30 is not d/r=t.

Thanks again.

I'll give you a quick list of advice I give my students. stapel has already given you some of it.

1. As stapel mentioned, if this is a non-calclulator situation, if you have to divide by something ugly, like 17, odds are that whatever is in the numerator has a factor of 17 in it, too. Look for the simplification before you multiply everything out. More likely than not, the numbers won't turn out to be too bad.

2. One of the first things to address in a Physics problem is units: pick a distance unit... if the problem uses speed in mph you probably want to use miles. Ditto for time. It really doesn't matter in the end which units you use, you just need to be consistent. When in doubt, if you have two units in the problem, such as 20 mph and 100 ft, choose the smaller unit and convert mph to feet/hr, or even ft/min. Then change anything else accordingly.

3. Work through as much of the problem as you can using just variables. It probably won't do much for this level of problem, but it's easier to keep track of units, you don't accumulate rounding errors, and in many cases a lot of stuff you didn't really need to know just falls out of the problem. (If you continue in Physics, you will find a number of problems that appear to need a mass do not give you one. That's because, in the end, the mass term cancels out somewhere and you didn't really need it.)

4. Take a moment to ask "Does my answer make sense?". If your question is about how long it takes a car moving with a speed of 60 mph to travel a distance of distance of 60 miles, and your answer is 10 hours, the hairs on the back of your neck should be stiffening! It doesn't take long and you can catch some simple and easy to make mistakes this way.

5. Finally, since this is a timed test, you need to budget your time. My personal favorite strategy is to go through the whole test and answer any questions you can immediately answer, or that are simple enough to you to not require a lot of time to do. Then see how much time is left and divide it up between the rest of the problems. Then go through it again. If you get stuck somewhere, move to the next problem... don't get bogged down on a single problem, you can always come back to it again if you have time. Keep track of the time, but do not panic when time is getting low! Just do the best that you can, you can't do it any better. Never take a personal stake in an exam, it can cripple your ability to think on your feet. As Adidas says "Just do it.". And when you are done, just walk away.

Hope it helps!

-Dan
Thanks for the response Dan,

I find alot of the time when I am praticing and I review my answers alot of the problems I get wrong logically dont make sense. The unit conversion has not and should not be much of a problem for me as the test will be standard in a consistent unit. Thanks for the advice on the mindset for the exam, your response helped heaps.

Cheers.

So I'm training for an aptitude test in which I need to be able to quickly solve basic speed distance and time and fuel calculation questions without a calculator. I understand how to come to the correct answer using Distance = Speed x Time formula and rearrange it but when I need to divide awkward number 19/570 I cannot do it quickly in my head, I'm looking for any stratergies to help me be divide those more awkward numbers. Any help or suggestions are appreciated, Thanks.View attachment 36473View attachment 36474
Combining various ideas that have been mentioned, I would treat the whole thing as one big fraction multiplication problem, and be sure to cancel before multiplying.

For the first problem, [math]19\text{ mi}\times \frac{1\text{ hr}}{570\text{ mi}}\times \frac{30\text{ kg}}{1\text{ hr}}=\frac{19\times30}{570}\text{ kg}=\frac{19\times3\times10}{10\times19\times3}\text{ kg}=1\text{ kg}[/math]For the second, [math]\frac{34\text{ kg}}{3\times60+24\text{ min}}\times \frac{60\text{ min}}{1\text{ hr}}=\frac{34\times60}{204}\text{ kg/hr}=\frac{2\times17\times60}{2\times2\times3\times17}\text{ kg/hr}=10\text{ kg/hr}[/math]
In both, you could cancel by dividing rather than by factoring. The factoring or dividing (on paper, not in your head) can be time-consuming in the worst case, but you'll be dividing by small numbers.

Of course, you could also go ahead and multiply [imath]19\times30=570[/imath] and [imath]34\times60=2040[/imath] to get the answer, because they are set up to have nice answers in which the last step is easy. Problems meant to be solved without a calculator often work that way. Also, if you ever did have to divide 19/570, I'd divide 570/19 instead, yielding 30, so the answer would be 1/30. Avoid decimals.