Biased Estimates: û : (X1 + 2X2 + 3X3)/6 & ü : (X1 + 4X2 + X3)/6

Alex_Of_Darkness

Biased Estimates: û : (X1 + 2X2 + 3X3)/6 & ü : (X1 + 4X2 + X3)/6

Hi everyone, hopefully you'll be able to help me with this problem that is giving me headaches.

X1, X2, X3 are three random variables from a population with a mean "u" and a variance "σ2".

There is two estimators : û : (X1 + 2X2 + 3X3)/6 & ü : (X1 + 4X2 + X3)/6

I need to find if they are biased or not, if they are I need to calculate its bias.

I know that if u = û and u = ü there will be no bias but since we don't know anything about u I have no clue how to solve that. There is also 3 other subquestions but I guess that if I understand how to solve this one, I might be able to solve the other three by myself.

Thanks a lot in advance everyone!

Hi everyone, hopefully you'll be able to help me with this problem that is giving me headaches.

X1, X2, X3 are three random variables from a population with a mean "u" and a variance "σ2".

There is two estimators : û : (X1 + 2X2 + 3X3)/6 & ü : (X1 + 4X2 + X3)/6

I need to find if they are biased or not, if they are I need to calculate its bias.

I know that if u = û and u = ü there will be no bias but since we don't know anything about u I have no clue how to solve that. There is also 3 other subquestions but I guess that if I understand how to solve this one, I might be able to solve the other three by myself.

Thanks a lot in advance everyone!
What do you get for the Expected Value of your estimators?

Can we assume \(\displaystyle E[X_{1}] = \mu\)?

What do you get for the Expected Value of your estimators?

Can we assume \(\displaystyle E[X_{1}] = \mu\)?

I'm not sure how I could calculate expected value with no information on X1, X2 and X3?

And why could we assume that \(\displaystyle E[X_{1}] = \mu\)?

I'm not sure how I could calculate expected value with no information on X1, X2 and X3?

You have lots of information about X1, X2, and X3. It's all in the problem text.

And why could we assume that \(\displaystyle E[X_{1}] = \mu\)?

Because the problem tells you as much. When in doubt, return to the definitions of the terms involved.

X1, X2, X3 are three random variables from a population with a mean \(\displaystyle \mu\) and a variance \(\displaystyle \sigma^2\)

So you have three random variables. Well, what's a random variablehttps://www.mathsisfun.com/data/random-variables.html? I've linked a page from the website MathIsFun if you need a refresher. More specifically, what is the expected value of a random variable? I mean just in general, the concept, not any specific random variable.

As an example, suppose you toss 3 coins. Let X be the number of heads observed. How would we calculate the expected value of X? Let's use the formula: \(\displaystyle \displaystyle E(X) = \sum_{x \in X} x \cdot P(X = x)\). We know P(X = 3) = 1/8; P(X = 2) = 3/8; P(X = 1) = 3/8; and P(X = 0) = 1/8. That means \(\displaystyle E(X) = 3 \cdot \dfrac{1}{8} + 2 \cdot \dfrac{3}{8} + 1 \cdot \dfrac{3}{8} + 0 \cdot \dfrac{1}{8} = \dfrac{3}{8} + \dfrac{6}{8} + \dfrac{3}{8} = \dfrac{12}{8} = \dfrac{3}{2}\)

That process kinda looks like finding an average. Indeed, another term for "expected value" of a random variable is "weighted average." And what's another term for "average?"

So sorry for the double post, I think the forum was having some issues so I was not able to post what I wanted.

Another term would be the mean which is equal to u so by finding the expected value I will also be able to find if it is equal to u.

If I understand correctly would my X1, X2 and X3 like the three coins you talked about in your exemple? Would it be something like this? :
But what do I put for the amount before each probability? In your example I understand that it's the amount of time the event in question happens but here would in be only one?
Probability for X1 would be 1/6, 2/6 for X2 and 3/6 for X3
1x1/6 + 1x2/6 + 1x3/6 = that would be one which I'm pretty sure is wrong.

Also, now since you showed me that u=X1 I guess that for an estimator not to be biased I would have to find X1 as its value?

Thanks a lot for taking the time by the way, you cannot even imagine how grateful I am because like I said this problem has a lots of subquestion and I'm sure that if I get through this first part I'll be fine for the rest.