Boat travelling upstream: how long to travel 36 km?

sunshine25

a paddle boat moves at the rate of 12 km per hour. The rivers current is 3 km. How long will it take for the boat to travel 36km? it is travelling upstream

Sorry for not showing my work: :oops:

The distance is 36 and the speed is 12 km per hour but i want to - the rate of the the current right? so it would be d=rt 36=9t so the t=4 so it would take 4 hours to get upstream right

Lookit Oh Sunshiny one: start showing your work!

Speed = distance / time

In your problem, you need to know if travelling is with or against the current;
did you type it completely?

sunshine25 said:
a paddle boat moves at the rate of 12 km per hour. The rivers current is 3 km. How long will it take for the boat to travel 36km? it is travelling upstream

The distance is 36 and the speed is 12 km per hour but i want to - the rate of the the current right? so it would be d=rt 36=9t so the t=4 so it would take 4 hours to get upstream right

Upstream usualy means against the current. Therefore, your first solution, 36 = 9t and t = 4 hrs was correct.

TchWill, the initial unedited post only had:
> a paddle boat moves at the rate of 12 km per hour. The rivers current is 3 km.
> How long will it take for the boat to travel 36km?
Nothing else.

sunshine25 said:
You're forgiven, but must recite a whole Hooooooly Rosary as penance :wink:
Don't be afraid of speed/distance/time problems: you'll find they're all simple.

Denis said:
TchWill, the initial unedited post only had:
> a paddle boat moves at the rate of 12 km per hour. The rivers current is 3 km.
> How long will it take for the boat to travel 36km?
Nothing else.

sunshine25 said:
You're forgiven, but must recite a whole Hooooooly Rosary as penance :wink:
Don't be afraid of speed/distance/time problems: you'll find they're all simple.

Original quote also showed "The distance is 36 and the speed is 12 km per hour but i want to - the rate of the the current right? so it would be d=rt 36=9t so the t=4 so it would take 4 hours to get "upstream" right."[/u][/b]

TchrWill said:
Original quote also showed "The distance is 36 and the speed is 12 km per hour but i want to - the rate of the the current right? so it would be d=rt 36=9t so the t=4 so it would take 4 hours to get "upstream" right."
Are you sure?
Sunshine, did you edit your post TWICE?