Breakover Angle

rightnitro

Hi, I'm building a ramp for my shed. And I want to drive a lawnmower in without the deck hitting the shed / ramp. I'm trying to figure out the maximum angle of my ramp, with 3" ground clearance, and 48" wheelbase. Using the "breakover angle" formula of 2*tan-1(2*gc/wb), says 14.3°. But isn't this formula giving the angle if you were driving over a triangle, and not if you were driving up a ramp and onto a flat surface? If you're driving up a ramp onto a flat surface, is this the correct formula? Thanks.

Hi, I'm building a ramp for my shed. And I want to drive a lawnmower in without the deck hitting the shed / ramp. I'm trying to figure out the maximum angle of my ramp, with 3" ground clearance, and 48" wheelbase. Using the "breakover angle" formula of 2*tan-1(2*gc/wb), says 14.3°. But isn't this formula giving the angle if you were driving over a triangle, and not if you were driving up a ramp and onto a flat surface? If you're driving up a ramp onto a flat surface, is this the correct formula? Thanks.

Please show us where you found this formula, so we can see what is said about its meaning.

But it looks to me like the "2*" at the start changes it from the angle of a "speed bump" (your triangle) to that of a ramp. Here is a picture showing a bump in blue with your GC and WB, and the same triangle rotated to turn it into a ramp, which doubles the angle to just the value you calculated:

1605382359028.png

So the formula appears to be correct for your application. Your ramp should be less than 14.26 degrees.

Found it here...

It seems like my application should be less than ~28° , right? Looking at your blue triangle... if you take the line sloping down to C, and bring it up to the level B is at... it seems you would be allowed double the angle.

Found it here...

It seems like my application should be less than ~28° , right? Looking at your blue triangle... if you take the line sloping down to C, and bring it up to the level B is at... it seems you would be allowed double the angle.

I guess you misunderstood me. The formula you used includes the doubling, so your 14.3° is the answer to your question. I didn't say to double it again; and my picture shows doubling of 7.13° to get 14.26°, which is the answer. I never mentioned 28°.

That site never shows a picture of what the answer means in practice; but it does show a picture that, if you think carefully about it, shows that the angle they calculate, B, is in fact twice the angle of the triangle they show under a car. Later it says,

Breakover angle is a relevant performance metric in many common vehicle scenarios, including:​
  • Off-roading.​
  • Loading a vehicle onto a higher surface with a ramp.​
  • Going over raised railroad crossings.​
The second scenario is exactly what you asked, and is what the formula applies to. The third is probably intended to mean the same thing, but can be read as if it referred to going over a single hump shorter than the wheelbase, in which case you would really just need the height to be less than the ground clearance. In fact, their Wikipedia source also lists speed bumps, which is an error unless they meant really long speed bumps.