Business Idea and Stuck on The Math!!

Jwhurricanes

I have a business idea that requires some deep math beyond my limited skills. I am trying to determine how many unique combinations there are with 10 possible outcomes—how many 3 group combos and how many 5 group combos. Example: team 1 vs team 2
Team 3 vs team 4
5v 6
7 v 8
9 v 10

can’t have any teams playing each other as a part of the grouping—ex.1,2,3 or 1,2,4 because 1 and two play each other and there would be an automatic loser with that combo. This is the type of math problem I am trying to solve. Working on a number of different combinations—more teams, different combination of number of groups, etc. any smart people have a clue? Thank you in advance!! If you think this is simple please respond because I am willing to pay someone to help me through this.

Sorry, I don't quite get the problem. Could you please elaborate in more detail?

Sorry, I don't quite get the problem. Could you please elaborate in more detail?
Team 1 (95) vs Team 2 (90)
Team 3 (88) vs Team 4 (85)
Team 5 (87) vs Team 6 (80)
Team 7 (75) vs Team 8 (73)
Team 9 (87) vs Team 10 (86)

5 games above with the final score in ( ). First of all, how many total 3 team combinations are there. Then, how many winning 3 team combinations are there. Remember that you can’t have teams that play each other in your combination of 3. Reason, is there would be a guaranteed loser in that grouping. So 1 and 2, 3,4 and so on through 9,10 can’t be in the same set of 3. Does that make sense? If not, feel free to contact me (phone# removed). If you think you can figure this out, I have a few more scenarios to figure out. Different amount of games with different amount of team combinations. I can pay you something for your time. Thank you so much and please, if it still doesn’t make sense, call me. Kind of hard to explain. Thanks again!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
For the first part, I guess you mean "In how many ways can I pick 3 teams out of these 10", aka 10 choose 3, which is 120. As for the second question, I guess you mean "In how many ways can I pick 3 teams out of the 5 winning teams", which is 5 choose 3 = 10.
I hope I figured out what you meant.

Gotcha. The 120 would not have any teams that are playing each other in the “grouping”. So 1 and 2 would not be in any combination....same thing with 3,4...5,6 and so on? Is their a standard equation for figuring out both parts of my question? If I increased the grouping of three to five or if I increased the amount of games. Thank you in advance. Thank goodness for smart people like you??

Ooooh now I see what you meant. No, then 120 is not the answer. 120 is the number of all possible 3 element (team) subsets of the set with 10 teams. This is found using combinations without repetition, google “10 choose 3”. But your problem has a restriction, so we have to subtract the number of combinations that DO NOT satisfy this restriction, aka we need to find the “bad” combinations (for example, {1,2,3} is a bad combination, beacuse 1 and 2 played a game).
There are 5 pairs that played a game. Let’s assume that we chose a combination {1,2,x}, that is a bad combination because 1 and 2 played a game. The question is, how many of these combinations are there? Well, we can put any of the remaining elements as x, so there are 8 of those combinations. We repeat this process for the remaining bad pairs, and there are 5 of them, so, the number of all possible bad combinations is 5*8=40, so the final answer is 120-40=80.
This can be generalized, if you changed the grouping size from 3 to n, then the total number of combinations would be 10 choose n. The number of bad combinations would be 5*X, where X is the number of ways we can choose the remaining n-2 teams (which gets a little more complicated but nothing too much).

You are my new favorite person. I think you nailed it. Not sure if I can communicate with you outside this forum but I would love to. Have a number of more scenarios that would love your help with. Wont let me give out number on here. Seriously want to thank you. Stranger helping a stranger is what it’s all about!!!!

You are my new favorite person. I think you nailed it. Not sure if I can communicate with you outside this forum but I would love to. Have a number of more scenarios that would love your help with. Wont let me give out number on here. Seriously want to thank you. Stranger helping a stranger is what it’s all about!!!!
No problem man, write me a private message and I will give you my email.