Calc. & Proba problems!!

companion2025

First problem:
''From a company of 12 soldiers, a squad of 4 is chosen each night.
a) For how many nights a squad go on duty without tow of the squads being identical ?
b) In how many of these squads would a particular soldier be included ?''

For a), x=4, n= 12 using Combinatory analysis and found 495

For b) I multiplied C x=4 n=12 by C x=1 n=4 and got 1980

Anyone can confirm my results?

2nd problem:

I'm stuck in this following problem:

'' A publishing company sells 400,000 copies of a certain book each year. Ordering the entire amount printed at the beginning of the year ties up valuable storage space and capital. However, running off the copies in several partial runs throughout the year results in added costs for setting up each printing run. Setting up each production run costs $1,000. The carrying costs, figured on the average number of books in the storage, are 50 cents per book. Find the economic lot size, that is, the production run size that minimizes the total setting up and carrying costs. ''

My guess was to say that the cost function is: C(x) = 1000 + 0.50(x)

I'm having a hard time even understanding what the problem is all about.

HELP?

First problem:
''From a company of 12 soldiers, a squad of 4 is chosen each night.
a) For how many nights a squad go on duty without tow of the squads being identical ?
b) In how many of these squads would a particular soldier be included ?''

For a), x=4, n= 12 using Combinatory analysis and found 495 ............... Correct

For b) I multiplied C x=4 n=12 by C x=1 n=4 and got 1980

You should know that your answer to b is not correct!

How can it be more than (a)?

If you exclude that particular soldier - then you are left with 11 soldiers and you can make 330 squads.

So that particular soldier was included in (495-330=) 165 squads

Anyone can confirm my results?

2nd problem:

I'm stuck in this following problem:

'' A publishing company sells 400,000 copies of a certain book each year. Ordering the entire amount printed at the beginning of the year ties up valuable storage space and capital. However, running off the copies in several partial runs throughout the year results in added costs for setting up each printing run. Setting up each production run costs $1,000. The carrying costs, figured on the average number of books in the storage, are 50 cents per book. Find the economic lot size, that is, the production run size that minimizes the total setting up and carrying costs. ''

HELP?

I'm having a hard time even understanding what the [2nd] problem is all about.

What about problem 2, I am completely lost here.

Are we to begin guessing what you find confusing about the given scenario?

:idea: How about you tell us, instead of us guessing.

For example, are there some specific words or phrases, that you do not understand in the description?

(This method is described in our posting guidelines, along with the instruction to begin a new thread for each new exercise.)

Thank you :cool:

Last edited:
First problem:

HELP?
Now that Subhotosh Khan has found that this is a multiple post, I have deleted my response.

Last edited: