Calculate |NR|. (problem with geometrical ratios)

chijioke

fig6_16_2.png
Since |LN|:|LM| = 1:2, it follows that |LN|=|NM| and |PR| =|RQ| according to the theorem that states that if three or more parallel lines cut off equal intercept on a transversal, then they cut off equal intercept on any other transversal.
From the picture, I can see that |LP| = 4.5 and |MQ| = 7.5 What can I make of that? Thank you

View attachment 37098
Since |LN|:|LM| = 1:2, it follows that |LN|=|NM| and |PR| =|RQ| according to the theorem that states that if three or more parallel lines cut off equal intercept on a transversal, then they cut off equal intercept on any other transversal.
From the picture, I can see that |LP| = 4.5 and |MQ| = 7.5 What can I make of that? Thank you
Try drawing in some other line to make triangles, and see what you can do then.

You might draw segment LQ, or MP, or a line through L parallel to PQ -- there are many things you might do, all of which can lead to an answer. (Or you could know some theorem that is directly useful -- I somehow know the answer immediately, but can't state the theorem I'm using! Ah, yes -- it's a theorem about midlines of trapezoids.)

Be creative!

Be creative!
Let me try to be as you are already helping me to be. Thank you.

Try drawing in some other line to make triangles, and see what you can do then.

You might draw segment LQ,
Just like I was saying before, since |LN|:|LM| = 1:2, it follows that |LN|=|NM| and |PR| =|RQ| according to the theorem that states that if three or more parallel lines cut off equal intercept on a transversal, then they cut off equal intercept on any other transversal.
From the picture, I can see that |LP| = 4.5 and |MQ| = 7.5
I am using ΔQLM
Here is the segment LQ.
.Labelled LQ segement correct.jpg
Now I am using the idea of similar triangles.
[math]\frac{|LN|}{|LM|}=\frac{|LN|}{|LM|}=\frac{|SN|}{|QM|}=\frac{1}{2} \\ \therefore ~\frac{|SN|}{|QM|}=\frac{1}{2}~ \rightarrow~\frac{|SN|}{7.5}=\frac{1}{2} \\ 2|SN|=7.5~ \text{then SN}=7.5 \div 2 = 3.75~ cm[/math]But I was asked to calculate NR.
|NR| = |RS| + |NS|
From ΔLQP
Since [math]\frac{|LS|}{|LQ|}=\frac{1}{2}~ {\color{red}(\text{sharing adjacent sides)}} \\ \text{and} ΔSQR~ΔLQP~ \text{it follows that} \\ \frac{|QS|}{|QL|}=\frac{|QR|}{|QP|}=\frac{1}{2}=\frac{|SR|}{|LP|} \\ \rightarrow~\frac{1}{2}=\frac{|SR|}{4.5}~\rightarrow~4.5=2|SR|~ \\ \rightarrow~|SR|=4.5\div 2= 2.25~cm \\ \therefore~\text{|SR|}= 2.25~cm[/math]As |NR| = |RS|+|NS| = 3.75+2.75 = 6 cm

labelled MP segement.jpg
If decides to work from ΔMLP,
As |LN|:|LM| =1:2, then |MN|:|NL| = 1:1 so also |MN|:|ML| = 1:2 , according the theorem I had stated earlier.... still using the idea of ~ Δ
[math]\frac{|MN|}{ML}=\frac{1}{2}=\frac{|MT|}{|MP|}=\frac{|NT|}{|LP|}=\frac{1}{2} \\ \rightarrow~\frac{|NT|}{|LP|}=\frac{1}{2}~ \rightarrow~ \frac{|NT|}{4.5} \\ =\frac{1}{2}~\rightarrow~2|NT|=4.5 \\ \therefore~ |NT| = 4.5 \div 2 = 2.25 ~ cm[/math]As |NR| = |NT| + |TR|
From ΔPMQ
If [math]\frac{|MT|}{|MP|}=\frac{1}{2} ~ \text{, it follows that} ~ |PT|:|TM| = \frac{|PR|}{|RQ|}=1:1 \\ \text{then} ~ \frac{|PR|}{|RQ|} =\frac{|PT|}{|TM|}=\frac{1}{2}=\frac{|RT|}{|QM|} ~ \rightarrow ~ \frac{|RT|}{|QM|}= \frac{1}{2} \\ \frac{|RT|}{|7.5|}=\frac{1}{2} ~ \rightarrow ~ 2|RT| = 7.5 \\ |RT|= 3.75~cm \\ |NR| = 2.25~cm + (3.75~cm) = 6~cm[/math]

or a line through L parallel to PQ
View attachment 1708341924605.jpeg
Let me try using the fact that |LU| is parallel to |PQ|. The only thing I can deduce from here is that suppose I am applying the idea of similar Δs.
That is |LN|:|LM|=1:2
[math]\therefore ~ \frac{|LN|}{|LM|}=\frac{|LV|}{|LU|}=\frac{1}{2}[/math]So how do I get the value of |VN| or is there a better way I can handle it?

Ah, yes -- it's a theorem about midlines of trapezoids.)
What about it? Maybe I will google it later.

View attachment 37184
Let me try using the fact that |LU| is parallel to |PQ|. The only thing I can deduce from here is that suppose I am applying the idea of similar Δs.
That is |LN|:|LM|=1:2
[math]\therefore ~ \frac{|LN|}{|LM|}=\frac{|LV|}{|LU|}=\frac{1}{2}[/math]So how do I get the value of |VN| or is there a better way I can handle it?
As in the other approaches, think about |RV|, and about |VN|, using triangles LVN and LUM.
What about it? Maybe I will google it later.
Just look for "midline of trapezoid"! (It goes by other names as well.)

As in the other approaches, think about |RV|, and about |VN|, using triangles LVN and LUM
From parallelogram PLQU, |PL| =|QU| = |RV| = 4.5 cm (opposite sides of a parallelogram)
Then |UM| = |QM| - |QU| = 7.5 - 4.5 = 3 cm
Since [math]\frac{|LV|}{|LU|}=\frac{|LN|}{|LM|}=\frac{|VN|}{|UM|}=\frac{1}{2}[/math][math]\text{Then |VN|} ~ = 3 \div2 =1.5~ cm[/math]|NR| = |RV| + |VN| = 4.5 + 1.5 = 6 cm.
Guess I am right. 😁