Calculate required n for the confidence interval width to be doubled

ausmathgenius420

Question: A population proportion based on a sample size of 100 people has a width of w. Assuming other parameters remain equal ([imath]\hat{p}[/imath],[imath]z[/imath]), what is the sample size required for the population proportion to have a width of 2w?

*Multiple choice answers: 25,50,200,400
*Calculator free question

Confidence interval formula:
1661915122174.png
Decreasing the sample size will increase the width, hence n=25 or 50.

If you visualise the interval [imath](a,b)[/imath] on a number line, to double the width, each end point must be 50% further apart I.e. [imath]a\rightarrow a-0.5a[/imath] and [imath]b\rightarrow b+0.5b[/imath]

I don't know where to go from here?

Question: A population proportion based on a sample size of 100 people has a width of w. Assuming other parameters remain equal ([imath]\hat{p}[/imath],[imath]z[/imath]), what is the sample size required for the population proportion to have a width of 2w?

*Multiple choice answers: 25,50,200,400
*Calculator free question

Confidence interval formula:
View attachment 33921
Decreasing the sample size will increase the width, hence n=25 or 50.

If you visualise the interval [imath](a,b)[/imath] on a number line, to double the width, each end point must be 50% further apart I.e. [imath]a\rightarrow a-0.5a[/imath] and [imath]b\rightarrow b+0.5b[/imath]

I don't know where to go from here?
It's an algebra problem. Hint:
[math]p+z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}-\left(p-z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}\right)=w[/math]

Can you explain further? I rearranged for n and it didn’t help.
Since you call yourself a genius, I trust that you can simplify the LHS.

[math]p+z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}-\left(p-z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}\right)=w\\ 2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}=w[/math]
Now we seek [imath]n^*[/imath] such that we have an extra 2 on the LHS.
[math]\red{2}\cdot 2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}=2z \sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n^*}}=\red{2}\cdot w[/math]
Can you finish from here?

Last edited:
Since you call yourself a genius, I trust that you can simplify the LHS.

[math]p+z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}-\left(p-z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}\right)=w\\ 2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}=w[/math]
Now we seek [imath]n^*[/imath] such that we have an extra 2 on the LHS.
[math]\red{2}\cdot 2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}=2z \sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n^*}}=\red{2}\cdot w[/math]
Can you finish from here?
[math]\frac{2z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{10}=\frac{4z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{n}[/math][math]n=20?[/math]
20 is not one of the solutions.

P.S. The username is a joke :)

[math]\frac{2z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{10}=\frac{4z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{n}[/math][math]n=20?[/math]

P.S. The username is a joke :)
Ignore the 100. It's an algebra problem no need to plug in 100. What do I need to do to n to get an extra 2?
[math]2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}} \implies \red{2}\cdot 2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}?[/math]

I'm not sure where the two went in the second line.
That's for you to figure out... Here's an extra step.
[math]\red{2}\cdot 2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}=2z\sqrt{\frac{\red{4}p(1-p)}{n}}=2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n^*}}[/math]I'll ask you again. What's [imath]n^*[/imath] in terms of [imath]n?[/imath]

That's for you to figure out... Here's an extra step.
[math]\red{2}\cdot 2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}=2z\sqrt{\frac{\red{4}p(1-p)}{n}}=2\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n^*}}[/math]I'll ask you again. What's [imath]n^*[/imath] in terms of [imath]n?[/imath]
So: [math]n^*=\frac{n}{4}[/math][math]n=25[/math]Was the z meant to disappear?

So: [math]n^*=\frac{n}{4}[/math][math]n=25[/math]Was the z meant to disappear?
Correct and no it was a typo (edited above).
To summarize, you've shown that for a sample size [imath]n[/imath] with a confidence interval [imath]w[/imath], the required sample size to keep the same population proportion and a width [imath]2w[/imath] is [imath]\frac{n}{4}[/imath].

Correct and no it was a typo (edited above).
To summarize, you've shown that for a sample size [imath]n[/imath] with a confidence interval [imath]w[/imath], the required sample size to keep the same population proportion and a width [imath]2w[/imath] is [imath]\frac{n}{4}[/imath].
Could you suggest an alternate way to solve the problem? I'm struggling to grasp that way.

Why didn't this work?

Could you suggest an alternate way to solve the problem? I'm struggling to grasp that way.
Maybe this will help.
\(\displaystyle \text{If } 2\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}=w,\, \text{then } 2\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n/4}}=2\cdot w\)

What you should have is [imath]n^*[/imath], instead of [imath]n[/imath] in your equation.

[math]\frac{2z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{10}=\frac{4z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{\sqrt{n^*}}\implies n^*=400\\ nx=n^* \implies 100x=400 \implies x=4 \implies n^*=\frac{n}{4}[/math]

Maybe this will help.
\(\displaystyle \text{If } 2\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}=w,\, \text{then } 2\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n/4}}=2\cdot w\)

What you should have is [imath]n^*[/imath], instead of [imath]n[/imath] in your equation.

[math]\frac{2z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{10}=\frac{4z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{\sqrt{n^*}}\implies n^*=400\\ nx=n^* \implies 100x=400 \implies x=4 \implies n^*=\frac{n}{4}[/math]
Addendum: The reason you can't have just have [imath]n[/imath] on the RHS is that you multiplied it by 2, but did not do the same on the LHS so the equality no longer holds. Therefore, you need to call it [imath]n^*[/imath], and need to figure out what's [imath]n^*[/imath] in terms of [imath]n.[/imath]

That would make [imath]n^*=4n[/imath]
I made a whoopsie, but what you're trying to do is similar to what we did except you're not balancing the equation correctly somewhere.

[math]2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}=w[/math]Now, if I want [imath]2w[/imath], then [math]2\cdot 2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}=2z\sqrt{\frac{4p(1-p)}{n}}=2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n/4}}=2w[/math]
Or "your way"
If [math]\frac{2z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{10}=w[/math], and I want [math]2\cdot \frac{2z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{10} =\frac{2z\sqrt{p(1-p)}}{10/2}.[/math] where [imath]10/2=\sqrt{n}/2 = \sqrt{n/4}[/imath]

Last edited:
As BBB said in Post #2:
1661941631021.png
Simplifying the LHS gives:
\(\displaystyle w = 2z\sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}\)