Calculate the mass of Venus's atmosphere...

TechieTiff

Alright, any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Here is the information that I have:

Gravity= 8.9 meters/second(squared)
Pressure= 9.42 x 10 (to the sixth) pascals
Radius= 6.05 x 10 (to the sixth) meters
Area=4 x 3.14 x Radius

And the equation we have is P=F/A

So this is what I figured.. kind of..

9.42 x 10 (sixth) = F / 4 x 3.14 x 6.05 x 10 (sixth)

So if I multiply the bottom all together I got .. 75.988 x 10(sixth)

But I'm stuck beyond that. What's my next move?

Thank you!

For what do P, F, and A stand?

What are you supposed to be doing with the listed values and equation?

Please be complete. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

P=F/A
Pressure = F / Area

F= answer?

The Area and Pressure were given, and he told us to use that equation to come up with our answer, but he gave us all of the other information too, but I don't see how that fits into solving this at all, unless he was trying to be confusing.

TechieTiff said:
Alright, any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Here is the information that I have:

Gravity= 8.9 meters/second(squared)
Pressure= 9.42 x 10 (to the sixth) pascals
Radius= 6.05 x 10 (to the sixth) meters <----radius of what
Area=4 x 3.14 x Radius<---------Incorrect

And the equation we have is P=F/A

So this is what I figured.. kind of..

9.42 x 10 (sixth) = F / 4 x 3.14 x 6.05 x 10 (sixth)

So if I multiply the bottom all together I got .. 75.988 x 10(sixth)

But I'm stuck beyond that. What's my next move?

Thank you!

As posted the problemdoes not make sense.

Please post the exact problem given to you.

Well in the subject I posted what the problem was about, finding the mass of Venus's atmosphere. So the Radius would be Venus. And I apologize Area=4x3.14xradius(squared).

But honestly, both of you, that's all I have. I don't know if he there was stuff in past classes that we are supposed to remember about solving this problem and what not which is why there looks like there is something weird going on with the problem, but I wasn't sure which is why I brought it here. So instead of getting all up in arms about the problem, just tell me nicely that it's impossible and I'll accept that and move on. So I am assuming that it is impossible so it doesn't matter to me now.

Sorry to waste both of your time.

TechieTiff said:
Well in the subject I posted what the problem was about, finding the mass of Venus's atmosphere. So the Radius would be Venus. And I apologize Area=4x3.14xradius(squared).

But honestly, both of you, that's all I have. I don't know if he there was stuff in past classes that we are supposed to remember about solving this problem and what not which is why there looks like there is something weird going on with the problem, but I wasn't sure which is why I brought it here. So instead of getting all up in arms about the problem, just tell me nicely that it's impossible and I'll accept that and move on. So I am assuming that it is impossible so it doesn't matter to me now.

Sorry to waste both of your time.

It is very possible to solve the problem - we just want to know exactly

what are the assumptions?

One way to do the problem:

Calculate the amount of force being applied by the atmosphere --> F = P * A

Force is due the weight of the atmosphere --> W = P

Mass of the atmosphere M = W/g <---Answer

Can you tell me what assumptions we made above?

Whenever we see "careless" mistakes - and ill-defined problems - we do get up in arms. Because it indicates your "effort" in learning from the given problem.

I'm sorry about the mistake I made in the original post. And I won't lie to you, I don't know what you mean by 'assumptions' in the problem, I basically wrote down everything off of the board (the equation, the values). It's alright though, the problem is due in a half an hour, I will just skip it and talk to the teacher about it after class, see what I missed. If it was something earth shattering I'll post it back up here but otherwise, thanks again for your time.

Best,
Tiff