Calculate the turnover of the current and the next 3 years!

sillydilly

Hi there!

I'm posting here to find a kind person who is willing me to teach a bit.
I have a learning disability and my English is not so good. I am in the second vocational training. (retraining)

So, here is my question to calculate in "marketing math" and I really hope it's correct translated from my native language:

Q:
"Calculate the turnover of the current and the next 3 years"

Market volume: 165,400,000.00 $
Annual growth rate: 0.5 %.
Market share: 22 %

Answers are:
36,388,000.00 $
36,569,940.00 $
36,752,789.70 $
??? $

I don't understand the math.
I mean, I know this:
165,400,000.00 x 0,22 % = 36,388,000.00 $

But ...
How do I now calculate the results for the first, second and third year, where I am missing the result completely?
And is the second year also right: 36,752,789.70 $ ?

I just don't get it. I'm completely(!) lost.
Can anyone help me and explain this, please?
Thank you very much! ♥

Sincerely, SillyDilly ♥

...is the second year also right: 36,752,789.70 $ ?
It's correct

I mean, I know this:
165,400,000.00 x 0,22 % = 36,388,000.00 $

But ...
How do I now calculate the results for the first, second and third year, where I am missing the result completely?
Hint: there's another number in the question that you haven't used yet :) therefore see if you can think of something to do with that...

Answers are not provided to students on this forum. The helpers prefer to let the student solve their own problem with hints provided by the helpers.

Please see what you can do with the provided hint above and post back showing your work or why you think that you can't proceed any further.

I just don't get it. I'm completely(!) lost.
Can anyone help me and explain this, please?
Thank you very much! ♥

Sincerely, SillyDilly ♥
The Market ‘Volume’ is increasing by 0.5% per annum so to calculate the Market ‘Volume’ in each subsequent year you multiply by 1.005 (ie each subsequent year becomes 100.5% of the previous year); do you understand that?

Once you have calculated the Market ‘Volume’ for each year, your ‘share’ is simply 22% of that figure (ie: ‘Volume’×0.22 but you appear to get that part OK).

I have attached a simple spreadsheet ("Market Shares.txt") that works it all out. The only ‘number’ that has been ‘entered’ into the sheet is the Market ‘Volume’ in Year 0, ie: the current year (viz: $165,400,000.00); all the other (numerical) entries have been ‘calculated’ by the spreadsheet. (NB: once you download the attachment you will need to change its name from "Market Shares.txt" to "Market Shares.xlsx" so that it will 'work' as an Excel spreadsheet!)

If you click on any of the (numerical) entries (other than
B2) you will see the ‘formula’ that has been used to calculate it displayed in the “Formula Bar” above (the long white box preceded by the ‘heading’: “\(\displaystyle \pmb{f_x}\)

Clicking on any of the Market ‘Volume’ entries (other than
B2, ie: the ‘starting point’) you will see that it is the previous year multiplied by 1.005 (eg: C2=B2*1.005) and if you click on any of the ‘share’ entries you will see it is the number above it multiplied by 0.22 (eg: E3=E2*0.22)

I also include below a picture of the ‘results’ as displayed in the spreadsheet for your convenience.

Market-Shares.png

I trust that “explains” everything satisfactorily for you?

Please post back to confirm that.

Attachments

• Market Shares.txt
    9.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: