Calculating a decreasing percentage?

Nosferatu

Hi,

I am trying to come up with an equation/factor possibly? I'm not truly sure what I'm looking for as I only know the figures I have in front of me, but not how to equate an answer.

I have a task at my metrology work place to come up with a formula perhaps? with using a simple data outcome that's been fed back to me.

If 185 is 11
and
If 590 is 21
How do I go about calculating the possibility of 300?
I have plotted an excel sheet and used series to complete numbers in between and plotted a chart but I'm now stuck on figuring out the formula used to find what 300 equals.
(300 is an example figure, ideally I would like any number to be in the range that would calculate the smaller value)

In the chart I can see there would be a 300 answer but my mind today is absolutely blank to figure the answer!

I would be eternally grateful for the help to working out the formula.

Thank you.

Attachments

• calc.jpg
    calc.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 3
I have a task at my metrology work place to come up with a formula perhaps? with using a simple data outcome that's been fed back to me.

If 185 is 11
and
If 590 is 21

What do you mean, precisely, when you say that 185 "is" 11 and that 590 "is" 21?

What do you mean by "the possibility of 300"?

Hi,

I am trying to come up with an equation/factor possibly? I'm not truly sure what I'm looking for as I only know the figures I have in front of me, but not how to equate an answer.

If 185 is 11
and
If 590 is 21
I have plotted an excel sheet and used series to complete numbers in between and plotted a chart but I'm now stuck on figuring out the formula used to find what 300 equals.
(300 is an example figure, ideally I would like any number to be in the range that would calculate the smaller value)

In the chart I can see there would be a 300 answer but my mind today is absolutely blank to figure the answer!

Thank you.
I think you're saying that you want a linear function f such that f(185) = 11 and f(590) = 21. Does that sound right?

Now, as I understand it, you came up with the numbers in between, perhaps by repeatedly adding the same amount to each column. That may mean that you came very close to finding an answer. Do you recall anything about slope? And maybe about equations of lines?

Tell us what you did, and we may be able to use that to help you finish (and learn something useful from the effort). In particular, though, Excel has a tool that will find the equation for you.

Hi,

If 185 is 11
and
If 590 is 21

Thank you.
If 11 is 1 and 13 is 3, what is 12? Why?

A very kind user to this forum opened a convo with me and gave me an independant site to get a calculation.
"Line Equation from Two Points Calculator"
I entered the above values from X1 to X2 and Y1 to Y2 and it calculated a formula

y = 0.025x + 6.375

(185x0.025=4.625) + 6.375 = 11

this works with

(590x0.025=14.75) + 6.375 = 21.125 rounded to nearest full number: 21

so now as the example:

(300x0.025=7.5) + 6.375 = 13.875 or rounded to nearest full number: 14

Im terribly sorry for anyone this may of confused from the vague question I started with.. It was all I had to go on.
Kudos to the user that helped me. I would name them if they so wish, this wasn't from my own answer and I do not take credit for others help :D

Thank you!

A very kind user to this forum opened a convo with me and gave me an independant site to get a calculation.
"Line Equation from Two Points Calculator"
I entered the above values from X1 to X2 and Y1 to Y2 and it calculated a formula

y = 0.025x + 6.375

(185x0.025=4.625) + 6.375 = 11

this works with

(590x0.025=14.75) + 6.375 = 21.125 rounded to nearest full number: 21

so now as the example:

(300x0.025=7.5) + 6.375 = 13.875 or rounded to nearest full number: 14

Im terribly sorry for anyone this may of confused from the vague question I started with.. It was all I had to go on.
Kudos to the user that helped me. I would name them if they so wish, this wasn't from my own answer and I do not take credit for others help :D

Thank you!
I suppose you are referring to

Using "advanced mode", I see you can get more precision; your formula is a little off.

In Excel, you can just put in the two known points, make a scatter plot with them, and ask for a "trend line" (linear regression):

1698707818563.png

I copied the formula it gave into the top line, and made cells containing "= 0.0247*A2 + 6.4321" to check the results.

So you had the necessary tool already!