Calculating percentages between Points

tradewind

Its probably a simple equation but I'm brain fried atm. I basically have 2 lines... each line is divided into sections - One line (Line A) has 5 points on it (And so its divided into 4 sections) The second line (Line B) has 6 points on it (so its divided into 5 sections). I basically want to compare the two lines and figure out what percentage the points on Line B fall between when compared to the points on Line A. For example Starting at the bottom, Point 1 and Point 2 on Line A have a distance of .25 (25%) and Point 1 and Point 2 on Line B have a distance of .2 (20%) so Point 2 on Line B is 80% of the way between Points 1 and 2 on Line A. I'm trying to figure out the percentages for the rest of the points on Line B essentially. (So Point 3 (.40%) would fall between Point 2 and 3 on Line A... so what's the percentage there?) (Point 4 (60%) would fall between Point 3 and 4, Point 5 (80%) would fall between Points 4 and 5, and Point 6 would simply be 100% when compared to Point 5 of Line A.

One line (Line A) has 5 points on it (And so its divided into 4 sections)

The second line (Line B) has 6 points on it (so its divided into 5 sections).

I basically want to compare the two lines and figure out what percentage
the points on Line B fall between when compared to the points on Line A.

For example: Starting at the bottom, Point 1 and Point 2 on Line A have
a distance of .25 (25%) and Point 1 and Point 2 on Line B have a distance
of .2 (20%) so Point 2 on Line B is 80% of the way between
Points 1 and 2 on Line A.

I'm trying to figure out the percentages for the rest of the points on Line B essentially.

So Point 3 (.40%) would fall between Point 2 and 3 on Line A...
so what's the percentage there?

Point 4 (60%) would fall between Point 3 and 4, Point 5 (80%)
would fall between Points 4 and 5, and Point 6 would simply
be 100% when compared to Point 5 of Line A.
A bit like this? :

A: 1................2...............3...............4................5

B: 1...........2............3.............4............5............6

Its probably a simple equation but I'm brain fried atm. I basically have 2 lines... each line is divided into sections - One line (Line A) has 5 points on it (And so its divided into 4 sections) The second line (Line B) has 6 points on it (so its divided into 5 sections). I basically want to compare the two lines and figure out what percentage the points on Line B fall between when compared to the points on Line A. For example Starting at the bottom, Point 1 and Point 2 on Line A have a distance of .25 (25%) and Point 1 and Point 2 on Line B have a distance of .2 (20%) so Point 2 on Line B is 80% of the way between Points 1 and 2 on Line A. I'm trying to figure out the percentages for the rest of the points on Line B essentially. (So Point 3 (.40%) would fall between Point 2 and 3 on Line A... so what's the percentage there?) (Point 4 (60%) would fall between Point 3 and 4, Point 5 (80%) would fall between Points 4 and 5, and Point 6 would simply be 100% when compared to Point 5 of Line A.

The line B points will always fall at 80% between the corresponding points on line A.Except point 1, which is 0%, and point 6 which is 100%.

A formula you can use is: [((Pb-1)*20%)/((Pa-1)*25%)]*100

Pb is number of point on line B (e.g. 1,2,3,4,5, or 6)
Pa is corresponding point on line A, so if you choose point 3 on line B then Pa = 3 too.

(Pb-1)*20% and (Pa-1)*25% will give you the exact percentage that each point falls on the line. When you divide first by the second and using the same point number for both equations, you get the fraction that Pb is between Pa and Pa-1. Then *100% to convert the fraction to percentage.

Last edited:
A bit like this? :

B: 1...........2............3.............4............5............6

Yes, So I'm basically trying to get this:

B: 1...........2...|.......3.......|......4........|....5..........6[/QUOTE]

So LineB Point One is 100% to 1 and 0% to 2
Point Two is 20% to 1 and 80% to 2
Point Three is ???
Point Four is ???
Point Five is ???
Point Six is 0% to 4 and 100% to 5

More like this.
I'm trying to find what the percentage is in relation to the the points on the other chain.

\ / \ / \ / \ /

B: 1...........2...|.......3.......|......4........|....5..........6[/QUOTE]

Point Three is ???
Point Four is ???
Point Five is ???

More like this.
I'm trying to find what the percentage is in relation to the the points on the other chain.

Code:
[FONT=courier new]A: 1................2...............3...............4................5
         \        /    \        /       \       /     \        /  
B: 1............2...|.......3.......|......4........|....5...........6[/FONT]

Point Three is ???
Point Four is ???
Point Five is ???

Is my correction above (putting the picture into CODE form) what you intended?

I'm not quite sure of your terminology. How is point 2 of line B "20% to 1"? My understanding of what you wanted was "80% of the way from 1 to 2".

What's happening is that each point in B falls 20% behind the previous one: point B3 is 60% of the way from A2 to A3, point B4 is 40% of the way from A3 to A4, point B5 is 20% of the way from A4 to A5, point B6 is 0% of the way beyond A5 (i.e. at A5).

Last edited: