Calculating probability that 3 events with certain percent chances are all met

isaiahRoberts707

Hey all,

I'm not too great at math, and I have a real-world math problem for you.

Let's say we have 3 events that all have a certain chance of occurring. Each latter event is dependent on if the earlier event occurred based on the chance associated with it. For example, if event 1 does not happen, event 2 cannot happen. As such, if event 2 doesn't happen, event 3 cannot happen. The overall goal is to prevent event 3.

Probability for each event:
Event 1:
0.5% chance of occurrence
Event 2: 2% chance of occurrence
Event 3: 20% chance of occurrence

What is the overall probability (as a percentage) that all of these events will occur?

What I have tried:
Nothing so far because I greatly struggled with statistics in earlier school, and it's been a while since I had anything like this. If someone could give me some sort of formula to try, I can write it up and post my work.

Thank you!

Last edited:
To add on: I've tried using dependent events conditional probability, but I've found that it doesn't exactly work in this scenario. No formula that I have found seems to work for this case.

Hey all,

I'm not too great at math, and I have a real-world math problem for you.

Let's say we have 3 events that all have a certain chance of occurring. Each latter event is dependent on if the earlier event occurred based on the chance associated with it. For example, if event 1 does not happen, event 2 cannot happen. As such, if event 2 doesn't happen, event 3 cannot happen. The overall goal is to prevent event 3.

Event 1:

What is the overall probability (as a percentage) that all of these events will occur?

What I have tried:
Nothing so far because I greatly struggled with statistics in earlier school, and it's been a while since I had anything like this. If someone could give me some sort of formula to try, I can write it up and post my work.

Thank you!
To add on: I've tried using dependent events conditional probability, but I've found that it doesn't exactly work in this scenario. No formula that I have found seems to work for this case.
Please show us what you did, rather than just describe it. How do you know it didn't work?

As I understand it, event 1 happens 0.5% of the time; event 2 happens 2% of those times; and event 3 happens 20% of those. Just multiply, which I assume is what you did.

The overall goal is to prevent event 3.

Which of the two above probabilities are you looking for?

For me, it is not clear when you say:
Event 1:

2% of the time event 2 does happen.
You claim that event 3 can't happen if event 2 doesn't happen. So how can event 3 happen 20% of the time?