Calculus 3 Flux and Divergence (Gauss) theorem

tomoyoshki

Hello so I am stuck at b of this question and hope someone could help

Question B is where I have some trouble

I know that to compute the flux we could use divergence theorem which is simply taking the derivative of vector F. However divF is a really complicated function and I couldn't figure out how to compute it. If it came out to be a constant it would be nice since I could just use that constant times the volume which is 10, but doing div of vector F doesn't seem like the way to go and it is also what the key says. The answer turned out to be -12pi.

So please if anyone could help me out here, I really appreciate it.
Thanks
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 6.58.50 PM.png

Do you know the delta function? I mean more specifically that div([MATH]\vec{r}[/MATH]/r3)=4[MATH]\pi[/MATH][MATH]\delta[/MATH](r)?

Last edited:
The computation of div H is not that complicated if you write the whole thing orderly. Try first in Cartesian and then in spherical coordinates. Have you taken any course in electrostatics?

Do you know the delta function? I mean more specifically that div([MATH]\vec{r}[/MATH]/r3)=4[MATH]\pi[/MATH][MATH]\delta[/MATH](r)?
Not really, I don't think the book covered it yet.

The computation of div H is not that complicated if you write the whole thing orderly. Try first in Cartesian and then in spherical coordinates. Have you taken any course in electrostatics?
Yes I was able to take the derivative of each vector component respect to x, y or z, but the only thing I am not sure is the limit of integration. The shape in the picture does not explicitly say the range. I assume that theta and phi are 2pi and pi, but how about p then? The question also doesn't give any information regarding the interval for x, y, and z so I am really confused...
Do you have any idea?
No I haven't taken it yet, I am a rising college freshmen and want to take a test to pass calc 3 to earn the credit so I am just learning calc 3 on my own right now....
thanks for the advice though

Not really, I don't think the book covered it yet.

Yes I was able to take the derivative of each vector component respect to x, y or z, but the only thing I am not sure is the limit of integration. The shape in the picture does not explicitly say the range. I assume that theta and phi are 2pi and pi, but how about p then? The question also doesn't give any information regarding the interval for x, y, and z so I am really confused...
Do you have any idea?
No I haven't taken it yet, I am a rising college freshmen and want to take a test to pass calc 3 to earn the credit so I am just learning calc 3 on my own right now....
thanks for the advice though
Did you study how to compute surface integrals? Here you have spherical symmetry and your function depends only on r, [MATH]\vec H[/MATH]=[MATH]\vec r[/MATH]/r3.

Try to perform your integral assuming a sphere of radius R. Then try to think why that would solve your problem. Hint: Gauss law: think that the flux coming out of a certain volume does not depend on the particular form you adopt for the closed surface.

Last edited:
Did you study how to compute surface integrals? Here you have spherical symmetry and your function depends only on r, [MATH]\vec H[/MATH]=[MATH]\vec r[/MATH]/r3.

The textbook I am using is Calculus Early Transcendentals 8th edition. The notation was different that I didn't realize and now with your comment I did get a clue. (I learned p instead r for spherical coordinates). So I first simplified H by switching x^2+y^2+z^2 to p, and then tried to calculate the divergence but end up getting zero. And then I tried to compute the surface integral with u as theta from0-2pi and v as phi from 0-pi, but I got -2pi somehow, and did not even use volume.

The textbook mentioned about divergence theorem or gauss theorem that flux is equal to triple integral of the div of a vector, but only place that mainly mentioned gauss law(electric i was this so I am really confused in someway.

Thank you for being patient with my inability to fully get the question....

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 5.43.17 PM.png

IMG_7EFE760D2156-1.jpegIMG_8BCA6998D82E-1.jpeg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 5.42.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 5.42.41 PM.png
    102 KB · Views: 1
The computation of the surface integral is as follows: 1595550767012.png
Regarding your computation of the divergence, it is true that div H=0 but only for r[MATH]\neq[/MATH]0. In order to compute the surface integral,
you need to know what is d[MATH]\vec{a}[/MATH]: d[MATH]\vec{a}[/MATH]=r2sin[MATH]\theta[/MATH]d[MATH]\theta[/MATH]d[MATH]\phi[/MATH][MATH]\hat{r}[/MATH].