Calculus Readiness Survey

amandat02

So I have been accepted to UCONN and turns out there is a Caluclus Readiness Survey I have to take for placement in a math course for the coming fall semester. I'm looking at some practice problems and I have no idea how to do them here some of the sample questions I'm looking at:

x+1/x - x^2-2/x^2-x all of this is the numerator
which is all over 2-x/x-1 the denominator

I was asked to simplify this and the answer is provided as:

1/ x^2-2x

but i have no idea as to how that was reached...

I definitely need help so if someone could reply in a step by step manner as to how i'm supposed to solve this that would be amazing!

That's kind of difficult to answer with no parenthesis in the original expression.

\(\displaystyle \LARGE
\frac {
\frac{x+1}{x} - \frac{x^2-2}{x^2-x}
}{
\frac{2-x}{x-1}
}\)

Is this the correct expression?

amandat02 said:
So I have been accepted to UCONN and turns out there is a Caluclus Readiness Survey I have to take for placement in a math course for the coming fall semester. I'm looking at some practice problems and I have no idea how to do them here some of the sample questions I'm looking at:

x+1/x - x^2-2/x^2-x all of this is the numerator
which is all over 2-x/x-1 the denominator

I was asked to simplify this and the answer is provided as:

1/ x^2-2x

but i have no idea as to how that was reached...

... then you are not ready to take a course in calculus.

You need to understand that "readiness" tests/surveys/whatever are designed to place you in a math course commensurate with your present level of math ability. To that end, my advice to you is to take the survey without any "preparation".

The hardest thing about learning calculus is not the calculus itself ... it's the algebra, geometry, and trig that prove to be the stumbling blocks.

skeeter said:
The hardest thing about learning calculus is not the calculus itself ... it's the algebra, geometry, and trig that prove to be the stumbling blocks.

Completely 100% True. Great advice for anyone entering calc for the first time is to brush up on these skills