Calculus Students Announce

lev888

Elite Member
The first one.

Thank you for clarifying! I wish they would show all the steps of re-arranging on the course I am doing!

Many thanks,
Max
These steps are basic equation manipulation, why would you want "them" to waste time and space on something the students should've learned already? The first time you say "derivative" you announce to the world that you know algebra.

The first time you say "derivative" you announce to the world that you know algebra.
You forgot a word.

“The first time you say "derivative" you announce to the world that you better know algebra.”

I think I did not really understand elementary algebra until I studied calculus.

Certainly your Calculus teacher will assume that you know algebra! And a lot of students resent that.

I think that it would be better if we taught algebra (again) in calculus 1, trigonometry in calculus 2 and pre calculus (again) in calculus 3. Now we need to figure out when we teach calculus.

Last edited:
And a lot of secondary schools fail to ensure that students who need to be prepared for calculus graduate so.

?
There was this kid that lived near me that decided after 4th grade that he wasn't going back to school. Years later when he should have been in 12th grade he got a knock on the door. It was the truant officer asking why he was not in his 12th grade class?! He was promoted from elementary school to junior high school and onto high school. He considered going back to school and graduate on time! Since he hated school he decided not to go back to school. Then he decided to take the GED exam. He pondered if he should study for the exam and decided not to thinking that if he failed he would then study. He did read regularly but did no math since the 4th grade. He never had to study for the GED because he passed the exam.

In the US, it is just fact that student that who attend mostly Black schools (K-12) do not get the same type of education as students who attend mostly white schools (K-12). While at college I tutored in the math lab. The students that came in for tutoring were mostly white and they were awful for the most part. Then I went to graduate school and also tutored in the math lab. At this college mostly Black students came in for tutoring. I was shocked that these Black students were no worse than the white students in the other lab that I worked at. This puzzled me until I realized students could not go any lower. Possibly the Black students hit bottom before the white students, but when they entered college they were equally bad.

I am very upset about how the US has money for everything else but little for education. In NYC, if a school preforms poorly they are threatened that if they continue to do poorly that their budget will be reduced. Wouldn't any reasonable sane person think that such a school needs additional funding. Guess what the students look like in most of these school that get their funding reduced.