Calculus with business applications

akronzulu

I have to write a 3-4 page paper on the following question but am having problems getting started. The question is as follows:

"I work for a small airline company. Our management has recently instituted a new ticket pricing policy. I must figure out how this policy will affect our future profit.
Here is our situation. Every flight costs us $2000 in salaries, fuel, landing fees, etc. Every passenger we carry costs us an extra $20 (peanuts,pop,and taxes). We presently charge $100 per ticket. My boss believes that the more we charge, the more profitable each flight will be. So starting today, we will increase our ticket price by $1 per day. (We can think of our cost as increasing continuously with time. The price of a ticket depends on the departure time of the flight, not the time when the ticket is bought.)
With a $100 ticket price, we geneerally fill 20 seats on every flight. But as we all know, as the price of a commodity goes up, the demand goes down. Experience has shown the when the price is $100 or more, we lose a customer every time the price goes up by $20. We can think of the number of seats sold as being a linear function of the price.
I believe that, for a short time, my oss will be correct: our profit per flight will increase. Howerver, I suspect that if this policy continues, the profit level of each flight will stop incrasing and start decreasing.
My question is: When will the profits stop increasing and start decreasing?"

I have been trying to create a demand equation for this and believe it would allow me to solve all the questions but am unsure how to go about doing so. Any help would be appreciated.