Can a circle be considered a Function?

mel_001

I have a Trigonometry report and it's all about Relation and Function and their graph.
Now can a circle be considered a Function?

I've been trying to solve this using the "Vertical Line test" but it's hard...can you help me with this?

If a quantity y depends on a quantity x in a way that each value of x determines one value of y, then "y is a function of x".

So, take \(\displaystyle f(x)=\pm\sqrt{x^{2}-9}\)

This is a circle of radius 3 centered at the origin. Its domain is [-3,3].

It's range is [0,3].

Another way to look at it would be that a circles area is dependent on its radius, so it's a function of r.

mel_001 said:
I've been trying to solve this using the "Vertical Line test" but it's hard...
"It's hard" to draw a circle? Or to draw a vertical line through the circle?

Please clarify where you are stuck. Thank you.

Eliz.

stapel said:
mel_001 said:
I've been trying to solve this using the "Vertical Line test" but it's hard...
"It's hard" to draw a circle? Or to draw a vertical line through the circle?

Please clarify where you are stuck. Thank you.

Eliz.

I've been trying to identify if circle can be considered as a function, using the Vertical line test where it is said that a set of points in a coordinate plane is the graph of a function if and only if no vertical line intersects the graph at more than one point.

mel_001 said:
I've been trying to identify if circle can be considered as a function, using the Vertical line test where it is said that a set of points in a coordinate plane is the graph of a function if and only if no vertical line intersects the graph at more than one point.
So draw a circle, and see if any vertical line can be drawn that crosses in more than one point.

Eliz.