Can anyone help me ?

the question is to find the value of this

View attachment 33100
Assume p=3 and write out the expanded summation and multiplication. Work with inner multiplication first leaving 'k' as 'k'. Do you see anything special developing?

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

i tried to decompose into partial fractions

Attachments

• IMG_20220615_195010_585.jpg
    IMG_20220615_195010_585.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
Since you know nothing about Gamma, and Beta I'll share my solution using them knowing you won't understand. Partial fractions might work but seems tedious. Perhaps somebody can make use of this and guide you with the partial fractions.
\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\prod_{j = 0}^p (k + j)}= \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{\Gamma(k)}{\Gamma(p+k+1)}\text{ (Rewrite in terms of Gamma function)}\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{1}{\Gamma(p+1)}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{\Gamma(k)\Gamma(p+1)}{\Gamma(p+k+1)} \text{ (Complete the Beta function)}\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{1}{\Gamma(p+1)} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\Beta(p+1,k)\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{1}{\Gamma(p+1)} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{1} \alpha^{k-1}(1-\alpha)^{p}\, d\alpha\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{1}{\Gamma(p+1)}\int_{0}^{1}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \alpha^{k-1}(1-\alpha)^{p}\, d\alpha\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{1}{\Gamma(p+1)}\int_{0}^{1}(1-\alpha)^{p-1}\, d\alpha\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{1}{\Gamma(p+1)}\cdot \frac{1}{p}= \frac{1}{p!\times p}\)

where [imath]\Gamma()[/imath] is the Gamma function and [imath]\Beta()[/imath] is the Beta function.

Last edited: