Can somebody help me with which equation I am supposed to use?

melissa12

8BD86572-90F6-4589-B175-27A9D04320AB.jpeg

am I supposed to use

9x - 55 = 3x + 35
or
9x - 55 + 3x + 35 = 180 ?

and how do I know which one to use?

You didn't state the problem, but if you are supposed to solve for x and/or find the angles, then you need to use the appropriate relationship between these "vertical angles". Are vertical angles equal, or are they supplementary? Tell me what you think. (You're allowed to base your answer on what looks obvious from the picture, if you wish.)

You didn't state the problem, but if you are supposed to solve for x and/or find the angles, then you need to use the appropriate relationship between these "vertical angles". Are vertical angles equal, or are they supplementary? Tell me what you think. (You're allowed to base your answer on what looks obvious from the picture, if you wish.)

So sorry I forgot to add the problem! I was in a rush D: but yes you are supposed to solve for x.
it says they are congruent, so that must means they are equal...? I guess I have to use the first equation then. I didn’t realize how obvious it was though :0 thank you so much for the help!
so does that mean I will use the first equation if they are congruent/equal, and the second equation if they are supplementary?? :) actually that sounds really obvious
btw I got x = 15 !!

So sorry I forgot to add the problem! I was in a rush D: but yes you are supposed to solve for x.
it says they are congruent, so that must means they are equal...? I guess I have to use the first equation then. I didn’t realize how obvious it was though :0 thank you so much for the help!
so does that mean I will use the first equation if they are congruent/equal, and the second equation if they are supplementary?? :) actually that sounds really obvious
btw I got x = 15 !!
Yes, that's all correct. And that's why I didn't give a direct answer, so more thoughts would pass through your mind!

To check, if x = 15, then the first angle is 9x-55 = 9(15)-55 = 80 degrees, and the second is 3x+35 = 3(15)+35 = 80 degrees. So you've got it.

(Notice, by the way, that the angle in the picture isn't anywhere near 80 degrees (or even 80 radians); pictures for these problems generally are only for relationships, not to accurately represent the answer.)