Can someone help with this queation

Jared123

If possible, find all values of ? for which the following function is continuous for all real values of ?:

?? + 3? 2 , ? < 2
?(?) = {
6? − ?? 2 , ? > 2 .

Hi Jared. What have you learned about continuous graphs?

Here's a question for you to consider: Does the domain of f include 2?

?

A function, f(x), is "continuous at x= a" if and only if
1) f(a) exists
2) \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a} f(x)\) exists
3) \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a} f(x)= f(a)\)

It should be obvious that this function is continuous for all x except possibly x= 2.

So what are f(2) and \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 2} f(x)\)? What value of a makes those the same?

(Unfortunately, the way you have this written, f(2) does not exist for ANY value of a! I suspect that one of those "<" or ">" should be "\(\displaystyle \le\)" or "\(\displaystyle \ge\)".)

Last edited:
If possible, find all values of ? for which the following function is continuous for all real values of ?:
?? + 3? 2 , ? < 2
?(?) = {
6? − ?? 2 , ? > 2 .
Let's make the function readable: \(f(x)=ax+3x^2,~x\le 2\text{ and }6x-ax^2,~x>2\)
We need to make \(\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to {2^ - }} f(x) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to {2^ + }} f(x)\)
where \(\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to {2^ - }} f(x) =2a+12\text{ and } \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to {2^ + }} f(x)=12-4a\)
Can you find an \(a\) making those equal?

Thank you. But how did you know that the first one was \(\displaystyle x\le 2\) rather than x< 2 as was given?

Exactly! A necessary condition for f(x) to be continuous at x=2 is that f(x) must be defined at x=2. In layman language, a function is continuous at x=2 if you can draw the function from some point to the left of x =2 to some point to the right of x=2 without lifting your pencil. How can you do that if the function is not defined at x=2!

More rigorously you can NOT satisfy condition #3 posted by HallsofIvy

Thank you. But how did you know that the first one was \(\displaystyle x\le 2\) rather than x< 2 as was given?
Oh, come one George it makes no difference for continuous functions. DOES IT???

Oh, come one George it makes no difference for continuous functions. DOES IT???
Maybe, but for discontinuous functions it certainly does.

It is not a bad exercise or even test problem to ask that same exact question where there is no equality at x=2 at all. The function is not continuous at x=2.

Yes, where the "=" is does not matter for this question. And I just noticed that the title says "queation". A mélange of "question" and "equation"! I love it!

Yes, where the "=" is does not matter for this question. And I just noticed that the title says "queation". A mélange of "question" and "equation"! I love it!
I am saying that there is no equality sign for this problem as the OP states. No what what value one picks for a, f(x) will not be continuous at x=2. Removable discontinuity, yes, continuous, no!