Can someone please solve one of these for me( 2 equation variable)

Houston_Math_Dummy

Hey guys, this is my first post and im hoping someone can help me out these kind of problems have been giving me all sorts of trouble, it would be great if somebody could explain step by step.

Solve the system of two equations in 2 variables

1) x+9y=-63
-5x+10y=-70

2) -6x+7y=-21
-3x+3y=-9

3) -7x-21=-7y
-3x-5y=-63

These three problems have been giving trouble if anyone can explain that would be awesome

Denis, im miserable at math, I can do alot but always missteps and over look them

I think that equation is = to

5b=15

Hey guys, this is my first post and im hoping someone can help me out these kind of problems have been giving me all sorts of trouble, it would be great if somebody could explain step by step.

1) x+9y=-63
-5x+10y=-70

2) -6x+7y=-21
-3x+3y=-9

3) -7x-21=-7y
-3x-5y=-63

These three problems have been giving trouble if anyone can explain that would be awesome
There is no need to move this to the proper forum, which is algebra. We are not that fussy about people posting to the right forum on their first visit.

There are several ways to solve linear equations in multiple variables.

Basic fact: if you have n linear equations with n unknowns, there are three possibilities:

(1) there is no solution (which means that at least two of the equations are inconsistent and logically contradict each other);

(2) there are an infinite number of solutions (which means that at least two of the equations are not independent and logically repeat each other); or

(3) there is a unique solution.

If the number of equations is large, solving the system the way I am about to show you can be very tedious, but it is easy with just two equations.

\(\displaystyle [\alpha]\ 4x + 2y = 30.\)

\(\displaystyle [\beta]\ -2x + 3y = 13.\) Two equations in two unknowns.

We use one of the equations to find one of the unknowns in terms of the other. We can use either equation and find either unknown, but let's use equation alpha and solve for y. We get:

\(\displaystyle 4x + 2y = 30 \implies 2y = 30 - 4x \implies\)

\(\displaystyle [\gamma]\ y = \dfrac{30 - 4x}{2}.\) With me so far?

We now use equation gamma to eliminate y from the so far unused original equation (equation beta in this case) and get this:

\(\displaystyle -2x + 3\left(\dfrac{30 - 4x}{2}\right) = 13 \implies 2\left\{-2x + 3\left(\dfrac{30 - 4x}{2}\right)\right\} = 2 * 13 \implies 26 = - 4x + 90 - 12x = \implies 16x = 64 \implies\)

\(\displaystyle [\delta]\ x = 4.\) Did you follow that bit of algebraic manipulation? If so, you can see that we have found one of the two variables.

We use equation gamma to find the other: \(\displaystyle [\epsilon]\ y = \dfrac{30 - 4 * 4}{2} = \dfrac{30 - 16}{2} = 15 - 8 = 7.\)

Now we check our work by seeing whether the original equations alpha and beta are true with these values of x and y.

\(\displaystyle 4(4) + 2(7) = 16 + 14 = 30.\ CHECKS.\)

\(\displaystyle (- 2)(4) + 3(7) = - 8 + 21 = 13.\ CHECKS.\)

Try that approach on your problems.

I'm sure you can wrap that up ... don't let me down !

I'm in love for the first time.
Don't you know it's gonna last.
It's a love that lasts forever,
It's a love that has no past.

Don't let me down, don't let me down.
Don't let me down, don't let me down.

Ahhh .... the Beatles.....

1) x+9y=-63
-5x+10y=-70

2) -6x+7y=-21
-3x+3y=-9

3) -7x-21=-7y
-3x-5y=-63

For a quick review - go to:

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/systlin1.htm

1) x+9y=-63
-5x+10y=-70

2) -6x+7y=-21
-3x+3y=-9

3) -7x-21=-7y
-3x-5y=-63

this is how i would do it:

1) x+9y=-63
-5x+10y=-70

i have decided to solve the second equation in terms of x (you can pick any that you want):

-5x +10y =-70
-5x=-70-10y
-5x/-5 = (-70-10y)/-5

x= 14+2y

now i have an idea of what my X is equal to. you can take this x value and plug it into the first equation for x.

(14+2y)+9y=-63. now as you can see you have all like variables in the problem. once you solve for y, you have a value for y. then, you can take this value of y, and plug it into any of the equations to get a value of x.

14+2y+9y=-63
14+11y=-63
11y= -112
y= -112/11

there may be some mathematical errors but that's the way i would go about this problem