Can the following terms cancel?

Krack

Hello there.

Please have a look at the equation below.

Cancelling.png

Can the two mu's (u's) in the following expression cancel? If no, can someone please explain why?

Thank you.

To answer your question:
[math]\frac{2*3}{11*5+3*7}=\frac{6}{55+21}=\frac{6}{76}[/math]By your logic:
[math]\frac{2*\sout{3}}{11*5+\sout{3}*7}=\frac{2}{55+7}=\frac{2}{62}\neq \frac{6}{76}[/math]

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please tell me what material I need to study to understand why they can't cancel.

Is it because of addition?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please tell me what material I need to study to understand why they can't cancel.

Thanks.
You can only reduce fractions when both numerator and denominator are composed of multiplication only.
Consider another example: [math]\frac{3}{3(3+5)}=\frac{3}{3(8)}=\frac{3}{24}=\frac{1}{8}[/math]Notice that 3(3+5) is multiplication, so you can cancel:
[math]\frac{\sout{3}}{\underbrace{\sout{3}(3+5)}_{multiplication}}=\frac{1}{8}[/math]

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks.
The way I've often stated it to students, you can only cancel common factors of the entire numerator and denominator. You can't cancel a factor that is in only one term.

Why? Because canceling means something like this:
[math]\frac{2(x+y)}{2z}=\frac{2}{2}\cdot\frac{x+y}{z}=1\cdot\frac{x+y}{z}=\frac{x+y}{z}[/math]You can't do that with, say,
[math]\frac{2x+y}{2z}[/math]where 2 is not a factor of the entire numerator.

The way I've often stated it to students, you can only cancel common factors of the entire numerator and denominator. You can't cancel a factor that is in only one term.

Why? Because canceling means something like this:
[math]\frac{2(x+y)}{2z}=\frac{2}{2}\cdot\frac{x+y}{z}=1\cdot\frac{x+y}{z}=\frac{x+y}{z}[/math]You can't do that with, say,
[math]\frac{2x+y}{2z}[/math]where 2 is not a factor of the entire numerator.
I would add a suggestion: pick some numbers and plug them in into the original and the "cancelled" fractions and see which cancelling preserves the value of the fraction.

Krack:
Which one is correct?

\(\displaystyle \frac{ab}{c+ad} = \frac{b}{c+d}\)

OR

\(\displaystyle \frac{ab}{ac+ad} = \frac{ab}{a(c+d)}=\frac{b}{c+d}\)

They can't both be correct.

Last edited: