Can't solve any problems: After finishing chapter in Herstein's "Topics in Algebra", I've been trying to solve problems for several weeks.

Boi

After finishing a chapter from my math book, I've been trying to solve problems listed after it for several weeks. I am lost and I have no clue how to even approach most of them. Should I persist or give up and move on to the next chapter?

After finishing a chapter from my math book, I've been trying to solve problems listed after it for several weeks. I am lost and I have no clue how to even approach most of them. Should I persist or give up and move on to the next chapter?
No. Some chapters may contain information that you won't need later, but usually the next will assume you've mastered this material.

Tell us what the chapter taught, and show us a problem or two, with your attempt (or what stops you from trying. Hopefully, we can try to find what you've missed.

Reactions: Boi
Thank you for your advice!
The chapter is from Herstein's "Topics in algebra". It teaches about mappings from sets to sets. The problem I struggle with is this:
"If [imath]S[/imath] is any set, prove that it is impossible to find a mapping of [imath]S[/imath] onto [imath]\mathcal{P}(S)[/imath]"
Here, [imath]\mathcal{P}(S)[/imath] means the set of all subsets of [imath]S[/imath]. I find so hard because [imath]S[/imath] may be infinite. I attempted it, but all of my attempts didn't have "purpose" (i don't know a better word for this). They were all like this: "If i do X, then maybe it will somehow solve the problem". Random shots, basically.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice!
The chapter is from Herstein's "Topics in algebra". It teaches about mappings from sets to sets. The problem I struggle with is this:
"If [imath]S[/imath] is any set, prove that it is impossible to find a mapping of [imath]S[/imath] onto [imath]\mathcal{P}(S)[/imath]"
Here, [imath]\mathcal{P}(S)[/imath] means the set of all subsets of [imath]S[/imath]. I find so hard because [imath]S[/imath] may be infinite. I attempted it, but all of my attempts didn't have "purpose" (i don't know a better word for this). They were all like this: "If i do X, then maybe it will somehow solve the problem". Random shots, basically.
This sounds like a difficult, albeit a well known, problem, unless there was something in the chapter to lead you to the proof. You might find this page informative: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_set#Properties

Reactions: Boi