car gets 35.3 mpg, 1 gal = 4.54 L, tank holds 63L; find numb

samantha

problem is .....

a car does 35.3 miles to the gallon, 1 gallon = 4.54 litres.

the tank holds 63 litres of fuel, so how many miles would you get from a full tank of petrol??

i would really really appreciate a quick answer!!

thank you's in advance!

Re: problematic probem - please help a maths dummy!

samantha said:
problem is .....

a car does 35.3 miles to the gallon, 1 gallon = 4.54 litres.

the tank holds 63 litres of fuel, so how many miles would you get from a full tank of petrol??

i would really really appreciate a quick answer!!

thank you's in advance!

Please show your work/thoughts so that we know where to begin to help you.

To start - convert 63 liters to gallon knowing you can convert 1 litre to gallon by multiplying with 1/4.54 gallon/litre

if one gallon is 4.54 litres i would divide 63 by 4.54 which would give me 13.87gallons, so a tank is 13.87 gallons, or 63 litres...is this correct? i fell like the answer to this problem is staring me in the face but i cant work it out!

Once you have converted the liters to gallons, then use the "miles per gallon" information to complete the solution.

Hint: Multiply. :wink:

Eliz.

oh my god i feel so stupid, i cant even get hold of this!!
can someone work it out for me and then show me how you do it step by step, p.s could you give me the workings out in u.k measures..? thank you

Hello Samantha:

I will not do your exercise for you, but I will do a sample problem along the same lines.

Your spaceship flys 985 miles per US cup of goo.

One US cup equals 0.4163 UK pints.

The tank holds 4,700 UK pints, so how many miles would you get from a full tank of goo?

STEP 1: Convert 4,700 UK pints into an equivalent number of US cups.

\(\displaystyle \frac{4700 \; \mbox{UK pints}}{1} \cdot \frac{1 \; \mbox{US cups}}{0.4163 \; \mbox{UK pints}} \;=\; 11290 \; \mbox{US cups}\)

(Notice how the units "UK pints" canceled, leaving US cups. This tells us that we set up the conversion ratio properly with cups on top and pints on the bottom.)

STEP 2: Multiply each cup by the number of miles the spaceship goes per cup.

\(\displaystyle \frac{11290 \; \mbox{US cups}}{1} \cdot \frac{ 985\; \mbox{miles}}{1 \; \mbox{US cups}} \;=\; 11120650 \; \mbox{miles}\)

(Notice how the units "US cups" canceled, leaving miles, which is what we want for our answer.)

You can fly roughly 11,121,000 miles on a single tank of goo. That's great goo mileage! I think you could go back and forth between the earth and the moon almost four dozen times on a single tank. (Do not try this at home.)

Cheers,

~ Mark :)
[sup:2fgneopz][/sup:2fgneopz]