central tendency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not disagreeing with any prior helper.

A normal distribution has very specific properties determined by the mean and standard deviation. So if you know those two numbers, you can sketch a normal curve. For example it is symmetric around the mean. What this problem wants you to do is sketch the relevant normal curve, plot the actual data points on the same graph, and make a judgment as to whether the normal curve seems sensible.

Last edited:
That isn't the standard deviation. (The standard deviation cannot be any larger than the width of your data set!) You forgot to take the square root.

-Dan
okay, topsquark, i rectified the result for standard deviation. i had not taken like you well said the square root
mean=36.7
standard deviation approximately 15.87

now applying the formula that Dr Khan gave me
Now calculate µ ± 3*σ
37.6 + 3(15.87)
37.6+47.61=85.22

37.6- 3(15.87)
37.6-47.61
= -10.01
Dr Khan asked me this question. i do not know the answer to that.
What you do with µ ± 3*σ values?
??

I am not disagreeing with any prior helper.

A normal distribution has very specific properties determined by the mean and standard deviation. So if you know those two numbers, you can sketch a normal curve. For example it is symmetric around the mean. What this problem wants you to do is sketch the relevant normal curve, plot the actual data points on the same graph, and make a judgment as to whether the normal curve seems sensible.
i have the mean and the standard deviation.
i multiply 3* the standard deviation and plus and sub it from the mean.
i should now according to you
  1. sketch the relevant normal curve
  2. plot the acutal data point on the same graph
  3. make a judgment as to whether the normal curve seems sensible.
i need help when you have some time to do these steps.
thanks Mr Jeff

www.investopedia.com

Empirical Rule

The empirical rule is a statistical fact stating that for a normal distribution, 99.7% observations will fall within three standard deviations from the mean.
www.investopedia.com
www.investopedia.com
Did you read the reference above?

Read it and then you tell us.

i am asked to represent the distribution on a normal distribution curve and show three standard deviations to the left and three standard deviations to the right???
You said that you needed those!!

Eddy

All normal curves look alike. They are also called bell curves. They differ in the location of the mean, and the spread of standard deviations. I think you are making a simple exercise hard.

1627403640695.png

I already have info about that coming out the ears, but i do not know how to apply it..
what should i do., how should do it?
i have not come across a tutorial for this online.
i need you to address what i am asked to do, please be specific.
sketch a curve, plot points?
how, what for?.
if you don't want to say and know a tutorial that explains let me know for god's sake!

you dont seem to realize that a person can have a lot of info about something but does not know how to apply it because that its first time doing that, exasperation!. with all due respect you're making it hard, not me!

articles/ videos studied

invetopedia
etc etc ETC
I just want your guide about what do and a hint how to do it, like you always do.
i understand most of you are not teachers and do not know the first thing about teaching, math helpers should read up on how to be effective math helpers!!!.
some help for you
steps
present facts, (teaching/helping)
practice give examples, (practice what you teach)/help)
now let go of the students hands. give t hem leeway, let them ponder exercises.
then
test.
i have been asking, begging here for almost two days now for some effective guidance to finish this blessed exercise.
you have provided me with info, i have searched online,
you should see i am seeing the picture as to what to do.
how do you want someone not to blow up?
man oh man!
my grandpa used to say, if you do something either for pay or volunteer do it well

Last edited:
i promised one moderator that wrote to me about my blowups that that wouldnt happen again.
i asked you to address my doubts. you asked me to .
dont you see this is the first time i do this exercise,
what kind of help you give?

Eddy

All normal curves look alike. They are also called bell curves. They differ in the location of the mean, and the spread of standard deviations. I think you are making a simple exercise hard.

View attachment 28397
Mr Jeff this is the first time i have seen this type of exercise and i ahve found no actual explanation of what i have to do online as much as i have tried
this video is good
but i need guidance!
topsquark answered me and let mek now my standard deviation was wrong, i went ahead and rectified
there was a question by Dr Khan i did not understand. he sent some info i had already seen a lot of info but it was not registering for the way to do the excercise.
if you do not wanna help, dont write. dont make me waste my time.

eddy, now you have to draw a curve
you know how to do it?, NO?,
THEN
go here you will see how.
and NOW plot the points.... YOU KNOW HOW, NO? GO HERE.
go to this video it will tell you how.
have you done that?
NOOOO
IS THIS SITE CALLED FREE MATH HELP???

is this so hard?, for god's sake!

what data do i use?
do i have to plot the standard deviation result?
do i have to plot the mean before plotting the other data?
how does the data ( if the same given in the problem) should be plotted?
this is logical questions for a first timer doing an exercise of the kind!
if you do not want to help is okay, but if you help me be effective
i praise 'effective' and you know that, i had to be effective since an early age,
but hate tepidness!

Don't worry eddy. I am putting you on ignore. So I shall certainly not bother you with answers in the future.

you dont have to ignore me and you don't have to help if you don't want to and you have helped me a lot, but t's be honest Mr jeff you all are not seeing when i do not get something. you are not. you have a lot of threads i know that, but if you really want help pay attention to the things i do not know, where i am stuck
i thank you for all the help so far,
but we're back to beating around the bushes, that is not effective and is a time waster.
and you are one of the people who have tried hard enough, but when you wanna know how much hard pressed someone is try to put yourself in their shoes.
i know i am not a regualr parent looking for help for their kids or a day schooler, no i am not.
maybe you're all not interested because of that.
it took like two days for someone to address my question.. i noticed.
it is okay.
thanks to everyone.
there might be other forums out there where they take workers who study
not only moms and dads or kids beggin for help with their homework

Last edited:
Thanks to all. I have already found another forum
There are plenty and they just take care of my doubts without so much complication and hoopla.
You make math hard and it is not.
ByeBye

Topsquark I have two days to solve a not so hard exercise. Brian Logan explained in 5 minutes in a video.
I don't have the luxury if time on my hands. Time is if the essence for me.
I need pointers straight to the heart.
You know this is serious for me
These people here don't care much.
It's either that or they do not know how to teach
I come from a family of teachers.
None of them here is one except I think , for one.
I can't keep wasting my time .
I have a lot to cover.
Socratic method or whatever they lack the knack the flair to teach.
It is not something knowledge gives you.
They do not know how to give a pointer ir hint that takes someone down the right path on just 5 or 6 minutes. They take so long.
Thank you for commenting
Gotta move on
I'm no school kid. I work and keep a family. This is a site to help kids.
There are plenty of good forum and resources out there.
Thank you I appreciate you.

And that is not Socratic teaching, no it is not. I know about that. Philosophy and pedagogy are my strong suit. That is what is what i study. if I may say so myself.
This is totally time-wasting, confusing bull!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.