Circle and Squares Math Puzzle (Pre-Algebra Level)

Otis

Elite Member
The diagram shows a square inscribed inside a circle inscribed inside a square. If the area of the larger square is 64 square units, what is the area of the smaller square?

:)

SCs.png
[imath]\;[/imath]

The first thing that came into my mind is to use the Pythagorean theorem, but I don't recall learning this in pre-algebra. Is there a pre-algebra way?
Since the area of the large square is 64 units^2, then its sides are 8 units => the diameter of the circle = diagonal of the smaller square = 8 units.
By 45-45-90 triangle or the Pythagorean theorem, the side of the smaller square is 8/sqrt(2)=4sqrt(2) -> Area of the smaller square is (4*sqrt(2))^2=32 units^2

The diagram shows a square inscribed inside a circle inscribed inside a square. If the area of the larger square is 64 square units, what is the area of the smaller square?

View attachment 31676
[imath]\;[/imath]
If we rotate the inner square, we can see that its corners will touch the sides of the large square. Drawing in its diagonals, we can see that this square consists of 4 out of 8 equal parts of the large square (triangles), so its area is 1/2 of the whole, or 32 square units.
1647294709917.png

Is there a pre-algebra way?
There is -- in some school districts, anyway ;) -- and your solution steps pretty much match mine. Good Job!

In grade school, I learned about square roots and rationalizing denominators, as well as some introductory geometry formulas and relationships (eg: the connection between a square's side and its diagonal).

We see that the circle's diameter, the big square's side length,
and the small square's diagonal are all the same length.

Any square's Diagonal measures: √2 × Side Length,
so Side Length is always [imath]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\text{th}[/imath] of the Diagonal.

Area of small square: [imath]\frac{8}{\sqrt{2}}×\frac{8}{\sqrt{2}}[/imath]

[imath]\;[/imath]