Circle equation using two tangents and one point

Ana.stasia

Determine the equation of a circle tangent to the lines 2x - y + 8 = 0 and 2x + 11y - 48 = 0 and contains the point A (1,6).

IMG_20210315_122129.jpg

My initial thought was to create a system of equations and solve it. However, I only complicated it more that way. How can I solve it?

Beer soaked diagram and query follows.
Determine the equation of a circle tangent to the lines 2x - y + 8 = 0 and 2x + 11y - 48 = 0 and contains the point A (1,6).

View attachment 25750

My initial thought was to create a system of equations and solve it. However, I only complicated it more that way. How can I solve it?
20210315_211146.jpg

By the way, you didn't answer my question back at https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/circle-equation-got-two-only-one-right.128760/post-530505.

Beer soaked ramblings follow.
I will I plan to review everything I posted as I go over the problems again. As for the diagram I am not sure how I can use that to make process...
Answer my question and I'll give you a hint or two.

Beer soaked link hints follow.
I will I plan to review everything I posted as I go over the problems again. As for the diagram I am not sure how I can use that to make process...
Equation of the Angle Bisector at
After that, try to follow the reasoning behind Sandeep Thilakan's answer (the first answer) at

Beer soaked link hints follow.

Equation of the Angle Bisector at
After that, try to follow the reasoning behind Sandeep Thilakan's answer (the first answer) at
I understand, however the numbers get really big and it gets really complicated and impossible to deal with unless using a calculator. Is there any way around that or not?

I did it exactly like it said here.
View attachment 25785
It could be missing something, but I don't know what.
The problem being solved here is NOT the same as your original post. What is the problem statement for the "solution" cited above.

You have been very coy about the source/s of these problems or the class you are taking.

The problem being solved here is NOT the same as your original post. What is the problem statement of the solution above.

You have been very coy about the source/s of these problems or the class you are taking.
The problem being solved here is NOT the same as your original post. What is the problem statement of the solution above.

The problem is the same, the numbers are different. I used the method showed in that post and used the numbers I had which you can see in my written work where I complain that the method did not work.

Also not true, I told one person here the author and the book's title. As for the class, there might be confusion because my school probably has a different system than what you know. I am taking math class, there is no name other than that as ridiculous as that sounds.

The problem is the same, the numbers are different. I used the method showed in that post and used the numbers I had which you can see in my written work where I complain that the method did not work.
Why aren't you willing to post the image of the "problem statement"?

Also not true, I told one person here the author and the book's title. As for the class, there might be confusion because my school probably has a different system than what you know. I am taking math class, there is no name other than that as ridiculous as that sounds.
Yet - you don't want to follow the method suggested by him.

You should post the name of the book and author at this forum - for everybody to have a reference.

Why aren't you willing to post the image of the "problem statement"?

Yet - you don't want to follow the method suggested by him.

You should post the name of the book and author at this forum - for everybody to have a reference.

Because the problem is written at the top and I see no reason to write it again If it's already there.

And I followed his method it just ended up getting me nowhere so I am asking for help with it.

Because the problem is written at the top and I see no reason to write it again If it's already there.

And I followed his method it just ended up getting me nowhere so I am asking for help with it.
So you are saying:

The problem statement in response #1 (OP) and

The problem statement in response #10

are SAME?

So you are saying:

The problem statement in response #1 (OP) and

The problem statement in response #10

are SAME?

No. In #1 I explain the problem.
In #5 I was given a link which showed the same problem with only different numbers being solved; meaning I was given a method to solve it with.
In #8 I show how I tried to solve MY PROBLEM following the example.
In #9 I was told to just use the method he sent, WHICH I DID so
In #10 I screenshooted the example that link had to say that I did it exactly as it suggested.

In #5 I was given a link which showed the same problem with only different numbers being solved; meaning I was given a method to solve it with.
#5 tells you to find the equation of the angle bisector - did you find it explicitly?

I did not see such equation. Can you please state the equation of the angle bisector?

OK. The reason I recommended using jonah2.0's method after your post #8 is that you had used the formula [MATH]r^2\left(k^2+1\right)=\left(kp-q+n\right)^2[/MATH], rather than jonah2.0's bisector line method. I know they are essentially the same, however your method gave you 2 possible solutions [MATH]\mathrm{I}[/MATH], [MATH]\mathrm{II}[/MATH] (in your work).
Anyway, if we work with that, in [MATH]\mathrm{II}[/MATH] you made a slip -40 instead of +40, so you should get:
[MATH]8p-16q+88=0[/MATH][MATH]p-2q+11=0[/MATH]and this happens to be the solution you want to work with.

(The centre [MATH](p,q)[/MATH] lies on the bisector line. In your solution [MATH]\mathrm{I}\text{, } 6p+3q-4=0[/MATH] represents the bisector line [MATH]6x+3y-4=0[/MATH]. In your solution [MATH]\mathrm{II}\text{, } p-2q+11=0[/MATH] represents the bisector line [MATH] x-2y+11=0[/MATH]. From the picture in post #2, clearly [MATH]x-2y+11=0[/MATH] is the correct bisector line we want - looking at the 2 straight lines and the position of the point (1,6).)

Anyway, now you have [MATH]p=2q-11[/MATH] *, so the centre is [MATH](2q-11,q)[/MATH] and:

[MATH]\left(\left(2q-11\right)-1\right)^2+\left(q-6\right)^2=\frac{\left(2\left(2q-11\right)-q+8\right)^2}{5}[/MATH] ** by the second part of jonah2.0's method,

which easily gives two values for [MATH]q[/MATH], then * gives corresponding values for [MATH]p[/MATH] and finally either side of equation ** gives [MATH]r^2[/MATH].