Circle

Recall the formula for a circle.
[imath](x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2[/imath], where [imath](h,k)[/imath] is the center of the circle and [imath]r[/imath] is the radius.
A point circle is a circle with a radius of [imath]0.[/imath]

Can you put the given equation into the standard formula of the circle? Once you've done that, set the RHS equal to 0 and solve for [imath]k.[/imath]

Do you know the definition of "a point circle"?

Have you learned "how to complete a square"?

To OP,
Although BigBeachBanana is correct about the general equation of a circle, I would replace the k used in the above post with say J simply because the letter k is already being used in your equation for something else.

While it is perfectly correct that: [imath](x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2[/imath], where [imath](h,k)[/imath] is the center of the circle and [imath]r[/imath] is the radius is, indeed, the General Equation of a Circle (Though, in my country, we teach: "[imath](x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2[/imath], where [imath](a, b)[/imath] is the center of the circle and [imath]r[/imath] is the radius"; which gets round the "problem" alluded to in the two posts just above this ?) it may be of more use to you to use the "Expanded Form" of the General Equation.

This may, therefore, be of some help to you…

Capture.jpg

in my country, we teach: (a,b) is the center of the circle and r is the radius"; which gets round the "problem" [of having symbol h or k already in use].
What if symbol a or b is already in use?

:p