clylinder surface area given diameter 5 cm, height 8 cm

tamiatha

find the surface area, to the nearest tenth, of a cylinder with diameter 5 cm and height 8cm
(s=2 pi rh + 2 pi r ^)
my answer is 142^
correct?
if not, what's wrong
is there a symbol on my computer keyboard for pi?
thank you
^ means to the second power or squared, right?

tamiatha said:
No. Just spell out the word, "pi". (Or else use LaTeX to insert \(\displaystyle ``\pi"\).)

tamiatha said:
^ means to the second power or squared, right?
No; it indicates "to the power of". The actual power must then follow the sign. (To refresh your memory, please re-study the "formatting" articles whose links you saw when you read the "Read Before Posting" thread.)

tamiatha said:
find the surface area, to the nearest tenth, of a cylinder with diameter 5 cm and height 8cm
(s=2 pi rh + 2 pi r ^)
I will guess that the above is meant to indication the surface area SA of a right circular cylinder with radius "r" and height "h", and that the formula is meant to be as follows:

. . . . .SA = 2(pi)rh + 2(pi)r^2

If so, then you have the correct formula.

tamiatha said:
my answer is 142^
correct?
if not, what's wrong
No, it is not correct. "What's wrong" is that "142 squared" is not correct. (I'm sorry, but I don't know how else to answer that question...?)

Please reply showing your work and reasoning, so that we "see" where errors may have occurred, and then provide you with intelligent assistance. Thank you! :D

tamiatha said:

If you are using Windows keyboard <ALT>227 will show ?. The 227 should be typed in in the "Number pad" with numlock on.