cml problems that don't make ANY sense

17rkearns

My math teacher gave me these problems and I have no idea where to start... if you just give me a lead on them and help me through them that would be AWESOME!!!

27. Counting numbers can usually be written as the sum of consecutive counding numbers. Every number from 11 to 19 can be written in this manner except one number. What is the number??

28. Chip and Arlene have 60 shares of stock between the two of them. If you double the number Arlene has and halve the number Chip has, then they have the same number of shares. How many shares does Arlene have??

29. The number of colored eggs in 5 baskets is 4,7,9,14,and 19. In each basket the eggs are all colored purple or all colored yellow. One basket is removed. The total number of purple eggs remaining is now twice the total number of yellow eggs remaining.How many eggs are there in the basket which was removed?

I have no idea

And we have no idea why you have no idea. Are there words in these exercises that you do not understand? Where are you stuck? We can't really know where to begin helping you, until you tell us.

On the first exercise, you need to understand what a counting number is. The set of counting numbers is {1, 2, 3, 4, 5…}.

You need to understand the word "consecutive". Look it up!

Consecutive counting numbers are next to each other, like 5 and 6.

You need to understand the word "sum". Look it up!

11 is the sum of 5 + 6

In other words, the number 11 can be written as the sum of the two consecutive counting numbers 5 and 6.

15 is the sum of 7 + 8

So, we see that 15 can also be written as the sum of two consecutive numbers.

The first exercise wants you to determine which counting number (from 11 through 19) can NOT be written as a sum of consecutive counting numbers.

Do you understand the first exercise now?

If you would like more help at this site, please make an effort to explain what you've thought about or tried. Tell us why you're stuck, or ask specific questions.

Thank you! :cool:

Thanks...

I don't get it because I don't have any idea where to start!!! I got that part of problem one but is there a quick way to find those numbers??

I don't get it because I don't have any idea where to start!!!

Maybe you could start by adding some consecutive counting numbers together, and see what happens.

There is no law that says you need to guess correctly on your first try. Experiment!

There are not many counting numbers less than 19, so it should not take much time to add a few. That is, the sums will exceed 19 quickly.

Try. You'll see. :cool:

I got that part of problem one

Well, if you already understood the English part, why did you post that the question makes no sense to you?

I cannot continue guessing what you need.

If you would like my help on the next exercise, please tell me the meaning (in your own words) of this sentence:

"Chip and Arlene have 60 shares of stock between the two of them."

System of Equations

28. Chip and Arlene have 60 shares of stock between the two of them. If you double the number Arlene has and halve the number Chip has, then they have the same number of shares. How many shares does Arlene have?

Let C = Chip

Let A = Arlene

C + A = 60
(C/2) + 2A = 60

Chip has 40 shares. Can you take it from here?