Co-ordinate Geometry: Verify that 3x - y - 4 = 0 contains pt (2, 2). Hence find shortest distance between line and 6x - 2y + 7 = 0

reggiwilliams

Came across this question when revising Co-ordinate geometry
Have tried doing but not sure if my answer is correct
Attach question and my workings

Attachments

• IMG_5983.jpeg
    IMG_5983.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5984.jpeg
    IMG_5984.jpeg
    724.9 KB · Views: 6
Yes, your answer is correct. I would have been easier to determine that if you had included all the work in the image, rather than cropping too tightly and losing words.

I checked by using another method, determining the distance of each line from the origin. Your work is likely what was expected.

Yes, your answer is correct. I would have been easier to determine that if you had included all the work in the image, rather than cropping too tightly and losing words.

I checked by using another method, determining the distance of each line from the origin. Your work is likely what was expected.
Here are my workings

Attachments

• IMG_5984.jpeg
    IMG_5984.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Hi Reggie,

I'm sorry but trying to decipher your (original) workings was making my brain hurt so I just did it myself and got (pretty much) the same answer as you. :thumbup:

It's always helpful to start off with a diagram such as this...

Rerp Lines.png

Having determined the equation of a line at right angles to the green one I then solved the (red & black) equations simultaneously to get the point of intersection between the red & black lines as (2.25, 2.75), then, using the distance formula, I got the distance between (0, 3.5) and (2.25, 2.75) to be (approximately) 2.3717 units.

Hope that helps. 😊

Last edited: