Coffee Break: Broken (Word) Ladder

Otis

Elite Member
The images below suggest nine 4-letter words. A tenth image (word) is missing. Arrange the words to build a 10-step ladder such that two adjacent letters change from step to step. The top step is the amphibian. Determine the position of the missing step and insert a famous name, to repair the ladder.

\[\;\]

I've been enjoying this puzzle, because it's really making me work for it. I think if I could just figure out what that squid-monster-looking-thing in the lower-right corner is, I'd be set. Here's what I have so far:

• FROG -> FLAG
  • FLAG -> ????
  • DOVE -> FIVE
  • FIVE -> FISH
  • FISH -> BUSH
  • BUSH -> ????

It's a really nice challenge.

Here's my answer:

FROG
FLAG
FL
EA
AREA
AR
CH
BACH
BUSH
FISH
FI
VE
DOVE

Clue for ksdhart2: give your squid an exoskeleton!

Nearly had it! I didn't get [spoiler redacted]. Nice puzzle!

Me neither. I kept getting hung up on thinking it was GRAY, which then led me to believe the other symbol was GATE rather than ARCH. However, I did come up with a very creative solution that the name should be GREE which is technically a last name (although this ultimately would have likely led nowhere anyway, as it's not a famous name)

Doctor Peterson made it to the finish line. ?

Honorable mention for everyone else. I had considered including L×W under the arrow, as well as providing the bottom step, but I had concerns about giving too much away. I never gave the FLEA image a second thought; that's probably a personal bias because I handled control products for years, before moving the pets from moist breeding grounds in the Pacific NW to the Arizona desert.
\[\;\]

Doctor Peterson made it to the finish line. ?

Honorable mention for everyone else. I had considered including L×W under the arrow, as well as providing the bottom step, but I had concerns about giving too much away. I never gave the FLEA image a second thought; that's probably a personal bias because I handled control products for years, before moving the pets from moist breeding grounds in the Pacific NW to the Arizona desert.
\[\;\]
Who keeps fleas as pets??