Completing a mathematical table ("equation" is "2 X upside-down triangle = square")

LiseyDot05

Good evening.

My 7 year old has come home with this math problem. He is having trouble with it & at the risk of sounding dim, I'm not too sure myself. Can anyone shed any light on it for me, please? I'm sure it's basic, I'm sure I'm overthinking it.20230919_182249.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening.

My 7 year old has come home with this math problem. He is having trouble with it & at the risk of sounding dim, I'm not too sure myself. Can anyone shed any light on it for me, please? I'm sure it's basic, I'm sure I'm overthinking it.
The first line indicates that we are multiplying 2 by the triangle row number and getting the corresponding square row number. You are supposed to fill in the triangle row numbers.

Are the answers as simple as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6? Surely not!
I am guessing that the challenge is not expected to be in solving simple equations, but in dealing with abstract symbols in math ([imath]2\times\nabla = \Box[/imath]). Would you find it easier if it said [imath]2x=a[/imath] instead?

I am guessing that the challenge is not expected to be in solving simple equations, but in dealing with abstract symbols in math ([imath]2\times\nabla = \Box[/imath]). Would you find it easier if it said [imath]2x=a[/imath] instead?
You know, you are probably right on this one. Just last week he done something precisely along those lines (I can't remember the exact equation now) but he got it with no problem. I think he overthought it, I overthought it...the usual. ? Thank you.