Completing Integral problem using substitution: Integral [ ( ln sqr(x) ) / x ] dx

muzik

I've used "View an example" on the Pearson website for a Integral problem using substitution.
I understand the process the example had until I got to the end.

The problem is an indefinite integral

Integral [ ( ln sqr(x) ) / x ] dx

The answer came out to

( ln sqr(x) )^2 + C

The part I don't understand is just before the final answer. which is

1/4 ( ln x)^2 + C. How or why does this convert into
( ln sqr(x) )^2 + C

Where did the 1/4 go? and why did it x turn into square root x?
During the process in the beginning I had a hard time determining what the substitution should be. Using the example it mentioned use the Log rule.

I've used "View an example" on the Pearson website for a Integral problem using substitution.

The answer came out to

( ln sqr(x) )^2 + C

( ln sqr(x) )^2 + C

During the process in the beginning I had a hard time determining what the substitution should be. Using the example it mentioned use the Log rule.

You didn't say what substitution they used; when I did it, I went directly to the final form. If I got 1/4 ( ln x)^2 + C, I'd leave it that way, because it seems simpler!

But as for your question, if I wanted to get sqrt(x) in my answer, I would do this:

1/4 (ln(x))^2 = 1/2^2 (ln(x))^2 = (1/2 ln(x))^2 = (ln(x^{1/2}))^2 = (ln(sqrt(x)))^2

Alternatively, if you want to check that the last step equals the next to last, you could do it in reverse, simplifying (ln(sqrt(x)))^2. (What they did is the reverse.)

The answer came out to

( ln sqr(x) )^2 + C

( ln sqr(x) )^2 + C

The only other thing that changed was the "sqr(x)". It has to be in there. See if you can find it.

You didn't say what substitution they used; when I did it, I went directly to the final form. If I got 1/4 ( ln x)^2 + C, I'd leave it that way, because it seems simpler!

But as for your question, if I wanted to get sqrt(x) in my answer, I would do this:
1/4 (ln(x))^2 = 1/2^2 (ln(x))^2 = (1/2 ln(x))^2 = (ln(x^{1/2}))^2 = (ln(sqrt(x)))^2

Alternatively, if you want to check that the last step equals the next to last, you could do it in reverse, simplifying (ln(sqrt(x)))^2. (What they did is the reverse.)

The subtitution used in the example u = ln(x) after using the log rule.
So using the log rule

Integral ( ln sqrt(x) / x ) dx

= Integral ( ln (x)^1/2 / x ) dx , use log rule to move 1/2 in front of ln
so,
= Integral ( 1/2 ln(x) / x ) dx , now use u = ln(x). and so forth..

but back to your example above, I don't understand this portion

1/2^2 (ln(x))^2 = (1/2 ln(x))^2

how does 1/2^2 turn into just 1/2?

Thanks

The only other thing that changed was the "sqr(x)". It has to be in there. See if you can find it.

I see the square root x, in the equation. I just don't understand where the 1/4 went or how it contributes to the square root x.

Or I'm not understanding your comment correctly.

Using properties of exponents and logarithms:

\(\displaystyle \bigg( ln(\sqrt{x}) \bigg)^{2} + \; C\)

\(\displaystyle \bigg( ln(x^{1/2}) \bigg)^{2} + \; C\)

\(\displaystyle \bigg( \frac{1}{2} \cdot ln(x) \bigg)^{2} + \; C\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4} \cdot ln(x)^{2} + C\)

Using properties of exponents and logarithms:

\(\displaystyle \bigg( ln(\sqrt{x}) \bigg)^{2} + \; C\)

\(\displaystyle \bigg( ln(x^{1/2}) \bigg)^{2} + \; C\)

\(\displaystyle \bigg( \frac{1}{2} \cdot ln(x) \bigg)^{2} + \; C\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4} \cdot ln(x)^{2} + C\)

I see, now I understand.
Thank you very much.

Now i see what you were trying to show me. Sorry a little hard to understand with all the brackets.
Thank you for you help.