Complex number question

Jared123

Hp2.JPGWhen I attempted it my answer was -9sqrt(2) - 9sqrt(2) and 9sqrt(2) + 9sqrt(2) which I know is wrong

[MATH]z^2 = 36i = 36 e^{i \pi/2}[/MATH]
[MATH]z^n = r e^{i\theta} \Rightarrow z = r^{1/n} e^{i (\theta+2\pi k)/n},~k = 0, 1, \dots, n-1[/MATH]
Can you solve for \(\displaystyle z\) now?

[MATH]z^2 = 36i = 36 e^{i \pi/2}[/MATH]
[MATH]z^n = r e^{i\theta} \Rightarrow z = r^{1/n} e^{i (\theta+2\pi k)/n},~k = 0, 1, \dots, n-1[/MATH]
Can you solve for \(\displaystyle z\) now?
thank you this helped. Im not sure if its correct but the andwer im getting now is 3 sqrt(2) + 3 sqrt(2) i and -3 sqrt(2)- 3 sqrt(2) i

If you need additional help, please show your work, not just your answer, so we can help you identify specific errors. You may have used a different, but valid, method, and just made a silly mistake (e.g. dividing 36 by 2 instead of taking its square root).

Frankly I'd write it as [math] \pm (3 \sqrt{2} + 3i \sqrt{2} )[/math] to make sure it's clear that the i isn't inside the square root. But that might be a Physicist thing.

-Dan
That is being kind others thing...

Frankly I'd write it as [math] \pm (3 \sqrt{2} + 3i \sqrt{2} )[/math] to make sure it's clear that the i isn't inside the square root. But that might be a Physicist thing.
It may be a mathematical thing, we a accustomed to say a complex number is written as \(a+b\bf{i}\) where both \(a~\&~b\) are real numbers.
Hence \(3\sqrt2+3\sqrt2\bf{i}\).