Complex number very confused

Loki123

I seem to be confused when it comes to understanding how they solved the following problem. I don't understand what happenes after e comes in, and how it comes in. I would prefer an explanation for this way, however, if you have easier or better methods tell me that too. Thanks in advance.
IMG_20220312_175219.jpg
I don't have the original problem. These are notes I was given.

I simply do not follow your workings. This file may help you.

Attachments

• ((z+i)_(z-i))^(4)=1 - Wolfram_Alpha.pdf
    255.6 KB · Views: 8
I seem to be confused when it comes to understanding how they solved the following problem. I don't understand what happenes after e comes in, and how it comes in. I would prefer an explanation for this way, however, if you have easier or better methods tell me that too. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 31633
I don't have the original problem. These are notes I was given.
Do you not recognize that w is any of the fourth roots of 1, in exponential form? (I don't know why they omit k=0.)

I think they have an extra i on the bottom line; when I solve (z+1)/(z-1) = w, I get z = (w+1)/(w-1), without the i.

On the rest of the bottom line, they are using some identities related to [imath]e^{ix}=\cos(x)+i\sin(x)[/imath].

I don't know whether I've covered the points you are unsure of. Please be specific about what you need help with.

Do you not recognize that w is any of the fourth roots of 1, in exponential form? (I don't know why they omit k=0.)

I think they have an extra i on the bottom line; when I solve (z+1)/(z-1) = w, I get z = (w+1)/(w-1), without the i.

On the rest of the bottom line, they are using some identities related to [imath]e^{ix}=\cos(x)+i\sin(x)[/imath].

I don't know whether I've covered the points you are unsure of. Please be specific about what you need help with.
I don't understand where e comes from. I have not been given a formula with it. It was not in any lecture.

I don't understand where e comes from. I have not been given a formula with it. It was not in any lecture.
Is e here any number, or 2,7...?
what is e^{ix}=\cos(x)+i\sin(x)eix=cos(x)+isin(x)?
Clearly you have not learned about the exponential form of complex numbers, so you can't be expected to understand this solution at all. I assume this solution is not from any class you have taken.

Yes, e is the natural exponential base, 2.71828... .

Here is a lesson about exponential form, which may help depending on what you already know:

That doesn't justify Euler's formula at all, but just offers it, in effect, as a new notation. For a deeper explanation, see section 6 here, which doesn't give an actual proof, but reasons to accept it:

@Loki123
Assuming you have read the notes recommended and know that [imath]e^{i\theta}=\cos \theta + i \sin \theta[/imath]
then here is an expanded version of your solution.
(Note there were a couple of errors (1 should be i) in the second-last line of your original notes).
z.jpg

An alternative proof:
[imath]\left(\dfrac{z+i}{z-i}\right)^4=1[/imath]
[imath]\Rightarrow (z+i)^4=(z-i)^4[/imath]
Either do difference of 2 squares twice or expand brackets using Binomial Theorem, and simplify to:
[imath]z^3-z=0[/imath]
[imath]z(z^2-1)=0[/imath]
[imath]z=0, z=1, z=-1[/imath]

@Loki123
Assuming you have read the notes recommended and know that [imath]e^{i\theta}=\cos \theta + i \sin \theta[/imath]
then here is an expanded version of your solution.
(Note there were a couple of errors (1 should be i) in the second-last line of your original notes).
View attachment 31637
Thank you for this, it helped A LOT. The only part I am confused about is why k = 1,2,3

@Loki123
I'm glad.
If you follow as far as [imath]w=e^{k\pi i/2}[/imath] for all integer values k, i.e. 0, 1, -1, 2, -2...
Substituting these values in, we find that the values of w just repeat after k=0, 1, 2, 3
So we simply say [imath]w=e^{k\pi i/2}[/imath] for k = 0, 1, 2, 3

Now in this particular question we know that w≠1, so k=0 does not give a solution to this problem.
So [imath]w=e^{k\pi i/2}[/imath] for k = 1, 2, 3

(I'm not sure if this was your problem).

@Loki123
I'm glad.
If you follow as far as [imath]w=e^{k\pi i/2}[/imath] for all integer values k, i.e. 0, 1, -1, 2, -2...
Substituting these values in, we find that the values of w just repeat after k=0, 1, 2, 3
So we simply say [imath]w=e^{k\pi i/2}[/imath] for k = 0, 1, 2, 3

Now in this particular question we know that w≠1, so k=0 does not give a solution to this problem.
So [imath]w=e^{k\pi i/2}[/imath] for k = 1, 2, 3

(I'm not sure if this was your problem).
Okay now I am little more confused. I get why z can't be 1. But why can't w be one? that is why can't z+1/z-2 be one??

z can be 1. It is z-i on the bottom line (not z-1 a little error in your original notes).
w cannot be 1 because then (z+i)/(z-i)=1 which you can see is not possible.

z can be 1. It is z-i on the bottom line (not z-1 a little error in your original notes).
w cannot be 1 because then (z+i)/(z-i)=1 which you can see is not possible.
If w=1, then z+i=z-i which would be 0=2i. I get that's not possible. But how did you determine it was not possible without doing this? Like If I got this on a test, how should my process of thinking go so I realize that w can't be 1.
For example If I see 2/x-1 on a test, my mind goes, x can't be 1 because then we get 2/0 which is not possible. How do I do that with this? How do I know that it exists for other numbers, 2,3,4...??

If w=1, then z+i=z-i which would be 0=2i. I get that's not possible. But how did you determine it was not possible without doing this? Like If I got this on a test, how should my process of thinking go so I realize that w can't be 1.
For example If I see 2/x-1 on a test, my mind goes, x can't be 1 because then we get 2/0 which is not possible. How do I do that with this? How do I know that it exists for other numbers, 2,3,4...??
You don't really have to worry about it! If you don't eliminate k=0 at the start, then at the end you should observe that k=0 leads to an undefined cotangent, so you'll eliminate it then.

The benefit of seeing it at the start (as I didn't!) is that you're safe if you forget to check at the end. The same is true if an equation contains 2/(x-1); you can often ignore the implied restriction in your work, as long as you check your final answer if it turns out to be x=1.

You don't really have to worry about it! If you don't eliminate k=0 at the start, then at the end you should observe that k=0 leads to an undefined cotangent, so you'll eliminate it then.

The benefit of seeing it at the start (as I didn't!) is that you're safe if you forget to check at the end. The same is true if an equation contains 2/(x-1); you can often ignore the implied restriction in your work, as long as you check your final answer if it turns out to be x=1.
so should i check for k=0, k=1,k=2 and k=3?

so should i check for k=0, k=1,k=2 and k=3?
At least check that each answer makes sense (i.e. is defined), if you don't fully check that they satisfy the equation, which would be wise if you have time on a test.

I echo what Dr.Peterson says. You can plough on and at the end check your candidate solutions.
In this question, you would probably have spotted that w≠1 before reaching the end.
At the point where we got:

[imath]z(w-1)=i(w+1)[/imath]

[imath]w=1[/imath], leads to the contradiction [imath]0=2i[/imath]

and so [imath]z=\dfrac{i(w+1)}{w-1}[/imath] and [imath]w≠1[/imath]
(which is probably where you would have spotted the problem, in the normal fashion).