Compute median from the below histogram.

eddy2017

Elite Member
this is the first time I do this type of exercise. What would be t he first thing to do, drop me a hint please.
Compute median from the below histogram.
1645731422912.png

any hint or tutorial will help a lot.
thanks in advance

Watching Khan he does something I don't understand.
he says: let's see how many data points are contained in these intervals here and he starts writing the data points.
so far I have understood everything, but not this:
how does he calculate the number of data points that he writes on the intervals?
I am pasting a screenshot.

1645734584302.png

https:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTwDmnEEb9E&t=107s

at 2.27 on the video

Compute the median from the below histogram
Doesn't tell me much
I was watching a Khan's video on it but got stuck on something he did that I couldn't understand. I think that video is gonna help me solve this. I asked but no answer has been given

Doesn't tell me much
I was watching a Khan's video on it but got stuck on something he did that I couldn't understand. I think that video is gonna help me solve this. I asked but no answer has been given
I don't know what Khancademy is doing either without watching the video. The total number of data points n is not 9. From the first bar (Age 35 months) you have a frequency of 8. This tells you that in the data set there are eight 35-months old children =>number of data points = 8, so far... Find the total of data points, again.

Your histogram is telling you that there are 8 data points of 35 months, 9 data points of 36 months, etc.

So, how many data points are there in total?

Use this value to find the position of the median data point.

Doesn't tell me much
Which bit didn't you understand?

Your histogram is telling you that there are 8 data points of 35 months, 9 data points of 36 months, etc.

you mean that
Which bit didn't you understand?
when he starts writing how many data points each interval contain. I pasted a screenshot. I dont know why he put 2 in the first interval, 9 in the second and so on...I got lost there. I thought understanding that tutorial would have given me an understanding to work this histogram.

Last edited:

Do I add these points?
like,
8 data points + 9 data points + 14 data points.......?
that is what you mean?
okay, i
l'll go ahead and you will confirm or deny
[math]8 + 9 + 14 + 19 + 15 + 10 + 7 + 6 + 2[/math][math]=90 data points[/math]

Do I add these points?
like,
8 data points + 9 data points + 14 data points.......?
that is what you mean?
okay, i
l'll go ahead and you will confirm or deny
[math]8 + 9 + 14 + 19 + 15 + 10 + 7 + 6 + 2[/math][math]=90 data points[/math]
Correct, you have 90 ordered data points. The median is in the MIDDLE position. Which position is it?