Conditional Probability?

chetpuff

This isn't a homework question but I'm trying to help a friend figure it out. If you have an 85% chance of Event A happening, but if it doesn't happen you have a 90% chance of it happening the second time you try it, what is the probability of Event A happening within two tries?
It's been a while since I took statistics and I'm not sure the right way to go about it. The only thing I can think of is 85% * 90% but I'm pretty sure that's not right.

This isn't a homework question but I'm trying to help a friend figure it out. If you have an 85% chance of Event A happening, but if it doesn't happen you have a 90% chance of it happening the second time you try it, what is the probability of Event A happening within two tries?
It's been a while since I took statistics and I'm not sure the right way to go about it. The only thing I can think of is 85% * 90% but I'm pretty sure that's not right.
Suppose that [imath]A_n[/imath] is the event that event [imath]A[/imath] occurs on the [imath]n^{th}[/imath] trial.
You are asked for [imath]\mathcal{P}(A_1\vee A_1^cA_2)[/imath].
That is [imath]\mathcal{P}(A_1)+\mathcal{P}(A_1^c\cap A_2)=\mathcal{P}(A_1)+\mathcal{P}(A_2|A_1^c)\mathcal{P}(A_1^c)=0.85+(0.9)(0.15)[/imath]

[imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath]

Suppose that [imath]A_n[/imath] is the event that event [imath]A[/imath] occurs on the [imath]n^{th}[/imath] trial.
You are asked for [imath]\mathcal{P}(A_1\vee A_1^cA_2)[/imath].
That is [imath]\mathcal{P}(A_1)+\mathcal{P}(A_1^c\cap A_2)=\mathcal{P}(A_1)+\mathcal{P}(A_2|A_1^c)\mathcal{P}(A_1^c)=0.85+(0.9)(0.15)[/imath]

[imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath]
What about [imath]\Pr(A_1 \cap A_2)?[/imath]

What about [imath]\Pr(A_1 \cap A_2)?[/imath]
Well what about it? [imath]\mathcal{P}(A_1 \cap A_2)=\mathcal{P}(A_2|A_1)\mathcal{P}(A_1)[/imath]
But that was not the question, which was: what is the probability of Event A happening within two tries?
the event [imath]A[/imath] happens the first time or not the first tine but does happen the second time.[imath][/imath][imath][/imath]

Well what about it? [imath]\mathcal{P}(A_1 \cap A_2)=\mathcal{P}(A_2|A_1)\mathcal{P}(A_1)[/imath]
But that was not the question, which was: what is the probability of Event A happening within two tries?
the event [imath]A[/imath] happens the first time or not the first tine but does happen the second time.[imath][/imath][imath][/imath]
Why can't event A occur both times? Your answer assumes that the second attempt only occurs if the first has failed.

Why can't event A occur both times? Your answer assumes that the second attempt only occurs if the first has failed.
Yes indeed you are correct. That is exactly what the question asks for: on the first or on the second.
Why in world would we have a second try if it happens on the first try? The thread's title is: Conditional Probability.

As I understand it, we don't care about [imath]Pr(A_1 \cap A_2)[/imath], but only about the total [imath]Pr(A_1) = \Pr(A_1 \cap A_2) + Pr(A_1 \cap A^c_2)[/imath]
I
t's been a while since I took statistics and I'm not sure the right way to go about it. The only thing I can think of is 85% * 90% but I'm pretty sure that's not right.
Did you miss read the question?

Why in world would we have a second try if it happens on the first try? The thread's title is: Conditional Probability.
Suppose A is the event of getting an Ace from a deck of cards. As there a multiple aces in the deck, it is possible to get an Ace on the first, and on the second attempt. The phrase "conditional probability" doesn't imply continuing until success.

Last edited:
As I understand it, we don't care about [imath]Pr(A_1 \cap A_2)[/imath], but only about the total [imath]Pr(A_1) = \Pr(A_1 \cap A_2) + Pr(A_1 \cap A^c_2)[/imath]
To me, "what's the probability of Event A happening within two tries?" means the probability of getting an A on the first try or getting an A on the second try, or getting A on both tries. But that's up to the OP to clarify.

Last edited:
To me, "what's the probability of Event A happening within two tries?" means the probability of getting an A on the first try or getting an A on the second try, or getting A on both tries. But that's up to the OP to clarify.
I agree, and [imath]Pr(A_1)[/imath] includes the first and the third probabilities from your list.

But getting A on the first try includes getting A on both! (Unless you mean, only on the first try.) So even if you make both tries regardless of whether the first succeeded, you still want [imath]\mathcal{P}(A_1)+\mathcal{P}(A_1^c\cap A_2)[/imath], which is the same as [imath]\mathcal{P}(A_1\cap A_2^c)+\mathcal{P}(A_1\cap A_2)+\mathcal{P}(A_1^c\cap A_2)[/imath].

You could also work this out by finding the probability of not getting A at all.

But getting A on the first try includes getting A on both! (Unless you mean, only on the first try.) So even if you make both tries regardless of whether the first succeeded, you still want [imath]\mathcal{P}(A_1)+\mathcal{P}(A_1^c\cap A_2)[/imath], which is the same as [imath]\mathcal{P}(A_1\cap A_2^c)+\mathcal{P}(A_1\cap A_2)+\mathcal{P}(A_1^c\cap A_2)[/imath].

You could also work this out by finding the probability of not getting A at all.
Yes, I realized that now.

For the record, @pka 's answer stands correct, but I had trouble with his reasoning.
[math]\Pr(\text{Event A happening within two tries})= \Pr(A_1 \cap A_2)+\Pr(A_1 \cap A_2^c) +\Pr(A_1^c \cap A_2)\\= \Pr(A_1)+\Pr(A_1^c \cap A_2)=\Pr(A_1)+\Pr(A_2|A_1^c)\Pr(A_1^c)\\ =0.85+0.9(0.15)=0.985[/math]

Last edited:
[imath] {\rm P}({A_1} \cup {A_2}) = {\rm P}({A_1}) + {\rm P}({A_2}) - {\rm P}({A_1} \cap {A_2}) \\ {\rm P}({A_1} \cup {A_2}) = {\rm P}({A_1}) + \left[ {{\rm P}({A_2} \cap {A_1}) + {\rm P}({A_2} \cap {A_1}^c)} \right] - {\rm P}({A_1} \cap {A_2}) \\ {\rm P}({A_1} \cup {A_2}) = {\rm P}({A_1}) + {\rm P}({A_2} \cap {A_1}^c) \\ {\rm P}({A_1} \cup {A_2}) = {\rm P}({A_1}) + {\rm P}({A_2}|{A_1}^c){\rm P}({A_1}^c) \\ [/imath]