Conditional Statements and Venn Diagrams

jen.jen302

Hello, I was wondering if I could get a tad bit of help on this assignment. I got 5 answers incorrect. :(

For problems 13 through 14 your complex statement is "Baseball players are athletes."

13. Which of the following is accurate?

AThe inverse of the statement is "If someone is a baseball player then someone is an athlete."
BThe statement is "If someone is an athlete, then they are a baseball player."
CThe statement can never be true.
DBaseball players all have great teeth and gums.
E The inverse of the statement is not true.
F The converse is: "Joey is a baseball player, and he is not an athlete."

For this one, I originally had A but that was incorrect.

For problems 15 through 20, create Venn Diagrams to help you solve the problems. These are not easy diagrams, take your time and think through this carefully.

Hints on 15 (highlight the following paragraph with your mouse to see them, they are in the form of questions you'll need to answer):
<start highlighting here> You aren't meant to find out how many students are in the individual courses. How many students are you supposed to have counted? How many wound up being counted? What does the overage mean? How many times too many was a student counted if he was in all three classes?<end highlighting here>

15. 500 people are enrolled in at least two of these three classes: art, drama, and piano. 170 are enrolled in both art and drama, 150 are enrolled in both piano and drama, and 300 are enrolled in art and piano. How many of the 500 people are enrolled in all three?

A300
B330
C200
D120
E 90
F 60

I got D 120, but that was incorrect.

16. 30 friends are coming to my house for a cookout. 16 of them want hot dogs, 16 of them want burgers, and 11 of them want salad. 5 say they want to have both hot dogs and salad, and of these, 3 want burgers as well. 5 want only salad, and 8 want only burgers. How many people want hot dogs only? (Be sure to save your Venn diagram because you will need to submit it if you have a revision for this question.)

A3
B4
C16
D7
E 11
F 5

I got E 11, which was incorrect.

For #17-20, create a Venn Diagram using the following statements. Save your Venn diagram because you will need to submit it if you have revisions for these questions.

25 students played soccer

4 boys played soccer and baseball

3 girls played soccer and baseball

10 boys played baseball

4 girls played baseball

9 students played tennis

3 boys played soccer and tennis

3 girls played soccer and tennis

3 boys played baseball and tennis

1 girl played baseball and tennis

1 boy played all three sports

1 girl played all three sports

Hints on the diagram (highlight the following paragraph with your mouse to see them):
<start highlighting here> Notice that the counts don't make sense as they are, because they're all inclusive. The soccer count includes every who plays soccer, even the students in the soccer and baseball, soccer and tennis, and the all three sport counts. The count for soccer and baseball includes the students who play all three sports. So you'll need to correct from the inside outward...first subtract the boy and girl who play all three sports from all the other counts, then subtract the dual-sport counts from the single sport counts.

Put another way, this is like the gecko problem--the entire soccer circle including the soccer and baseball students and the soccer and tennis students and the students who play soccer and baseball and tennis, will add up to 25.<end highlighting here>

17. How many students played soccer, but not baseball or tennis?

A4
B25
C12
D6
E 14
F 9

For this, I got D 6.

19. How many students played just one of the three sports?
A1
B20
C13
D7
E 15
F 5

For this one, I got F 5

I would just like to know what I could have possibly done to get these wrong. Thank you so much!!

13) What IS the inverse and converse of the given statement?
The rest: can we see you V-D so we can tell you where you went wrong? We really can't help unless we can see your work.

15. 500 people are enrolled in at least two of these three classes: art, drama, and piano. 170 are enrolled in both art and drama, 150 are enrolled in both piano and drama, and 300 are enrolled in art and piano. How many of the 500 people are enrolled in all three?
A300
B330
C200
D120
E 90
F 60
I got D 120, but that was incorrect.
Lets look At this part:art.gif
\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}w+x+y+z&=500 \\w+z&=170\\w+x&=300\\w+y&=150 \end{align*}\)
Can you solve for \(\displaystyle w~?\)