Confusing Question Help

HelpMehhhhh

A rectangular sheet of metal that measures 24cm by 18cm is to have squares cut from its corners so that its
sides could fold up to form a lidless box. Determine the possible side lengths of squares that should be cut in
order for the volume of the box to be 648cm3.

If possible could anyone give me a step by step on this? I can't make heads or tails of this

1) Draw a picture of a rectangle. Label it "24 cm" and "18 cm" on consecutive sides.
2) Stamp square pieces in the four corners. Label the corner edges "x cm".
3) Imagine if you cut out those square corners, how much of each side would remain.

You can't have nothing. Give it a go.

1) Draw a picture of a rectangle. Label it "24 cm" and "18 cm" on consecutive sides.
2) Stamp square pieces in the four corners. Label the corner edges "x cm".
3) Imagine if you cut out those square corners, how much of each side would remain.

You can't have nothing. Give it a go.
how would I find the volume of the rectangle sheet before the crners are cut then?

A rectangular sheet of metal that measures 24cm by 18cm is to have squares cut from its corners so that its
sides could fold up to form a lidless box. Determine the possible side lengths of squares that should be cut in
order for the volume of the box to be 648cm3.

If possible could anyone give me a step by step on this? I can't make heads or tails of this

Often I find students have trouble visualizing this sort of problem. Maybe this picture will help:

1603413344961.png

Often I find students have trouble visualizing this sort of problem. Maybe this picture will help:

View attachment 22529
Thank you this amazingly useful for me but I'd apprieciate it if you explained it a bit to me, i can't get the original volume before the corners were cut and I can't seem to figure out how to, if you can at all help i'd be grateful becuase this question has me stuck

There is NO volume until AFTER you fold up the edges. It's not a box before you fold it.

One edge was 18 cm BEFORE you cut out two squares. What is its length AFTER you cut out the squares?

Thank you this amazingly useful for me but I'd apprieciate it if you explained it a bit to me, i can't get the original volume before the corners were cut and I can't seem to figure out how to, if you can at all help i'd be grateful becuase this question has me stuck
Why do you think you need the "original volume"?

Just fill in my question marks with expressions, and write an equation that says the volume is 648 cm3. Then solve for x.

Why do you think you need the "original volume"?

Just fill in my question marks with expressions, and write an equation that says the volume is 648 cm3. Then solve for x.
Thank you, it took a second to figure out the equations even though they were easy, much appreciated!

And thanks alot @tkhunny for helping me through the different questions i posted today even when I didn't understand what you meant sometimes (All my fault on that)

Thank you, it took a second to figure out the equations even though they were easy, much appreciated!

And thanks alot @tkhunny for helping me through the different questions i posted today even when I didn't understand what you meant sometimes (All my fault on that)
scratch that, im still stuck on it, the equations i made were wrong I think, I used 24-2x and 18-2x = 648 and its gotten me nowhere

scratch that, im still stuck on it, the equations i made were wrong I think, I used 24-2x and 18-2x = 648 and its gotten me nowhere
i have gotten x = 0.12, which I feel is not right. I'm not sure though

This is why we'd like you to show your actual work so we can not only check the answer, but see what you need to fix to make it right.

You have correct expressions for the sides, but you need to put them together to make an equation for the volume. It is not the side 18-2x that is equal to the volume; it is the product of all three sides: V = LWH.

Write that equation and solve it. And show us the equation as well as how you solve it.