Confusions about finding equivalence classes for the set of natural numbers corresponding to equivalence relation a+b is even.

shivajikobardan

e4AFYCQTuIm9JcR6ySkeU2rvfAEFb0sOAR3g8s9phmMC7xfWIMT2gYvixFAVAx7SYX9WJ1S0UJbAO7yHc5f3iTlfzunL4TroyNQjW7D2rgF7burAiNtB1qA4CjuaIlYZFzrA4lH1

h1F5aFp3ONzGfdaPxFDp0GLhsqprDFUQ89rNk5VS03ZIW0VBmfIUfOWS4Z7Nzr6vyfaOPkogyEeRw8e4nM08OQ95V4wclF2PHPnWVS2t2DgI4PljlJiXtYG-A9JN8cebzDyPw5Tm

I find the post very hard to read.
I think it means an equivalence [imath]\mathcal{R}[/imath] on the positive integers [imath]\mathbb{Z}^+=\{1,2,3,\cdots\}[/imath]
where [imath](j,k)\in\mathcal{R}\iff~j+k\text{ is even. }[/imath]
Thus there are only two equivalent classes: [imath]\bf [1]~\&~[2][/imath], the odds & the evens.

It would be far clearer if you would type your questions in full sentences, rather than just circle parts of what you wrote.

As I understand it, you are asking whether k should be specified as an integer or a natural number; I don't see that it matters, since all numbers involved are positive anyway. Why do you think it might matter?

Then you ask whether a, in [a], must be a natural number. Since the notation means the equivalence class containing a, a must be in the set on which the relation is defined, which is N. (At one place you called it A, which I think was an error.) Similarly, the set [a] must be a subset of the entire set, which is N, not Z. There is no need ever to have written a negative number in your work (which a reason not to use Z, though I don't think it's invalid to have done so).

It would be far clearer if you would type your questions in full sentences, rather than just circle parts of what you wrote.

As I understand it, you are asking whether k should be specified as an integer or a natural number; I don't see that it matters, since all numbers involved are positive anyway. Why do you think it might matter?
If k contains negative integers, I need to use that in calculation ie in [1]={2k-1} for example.
Then you ask whether a, in [a], must be a natural number. Since the notation means the equivalence class containing a, a must be in the set on which the relation is defined, which is N. (At one place you called it A, which I think was an error.) Similarly, the set [a] must be a subset of the entire set, which is N, not Z. There is no need ever to have written a negative number in your work (which a reason not to use Z, though I don't think it's invalid to have done so).
that A was a part of definition, here in this example A=N. I write definition and solve the problem thought that it would make clear (but it did the opposite haha).

If k contains negative integers, I need to use that in calculation ie in [1]={2k-1} for example.
The point is that there are NO negative integers in what you posted.
Your post says that [imath]\mathcal{R}[/imath] is a relation on the positive integers [imath]\mathbb{N}^+[/imath].
If that is not correct then you should correct the post.

The point is that there are NO negative integers in what you posted.
Your post says that [imath]\mathcal{R}[/imath] is a relation on the positive integers [imath]\mathbb{N}^+[/imath].
If that is not correct then you should correct the post.
ok

Or, better yet, type your response rather than hand-writing it!

Every even number can be written 2n. The sum of any two even numbers, 2n+ 2m= 2(n+ m), is always even.
Ever odd number can be written 2n+ 1. The sum of any two odd numbers, 2n+ 1+ 2m+ 1= 2n+ 2m+ 2= 2(n+ m+ 1), is always even.

The sum of an odd number and an even number, 2n+ 1+ 2m= 2(n+ m)+ 1, or 2n+ 2m+ 1= 2(n+ m)+ 1, is always odd.

The equivalence "a, b positive integers such that a+ b is even" has two equivalence classes- the set of all even positive integers and the set of all odd positive integers.